Fermentation Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTrott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sunday I brewed 2 batches of beer. one batch began to bubble in the airlock within 10 hours a bubble a second for 2 days before it stopped. The other batch has not made a single bubble through the airlock that I know of. I checked the temp and its at 72 F +/- and there is the yeasty foam at the top of the wort. there is hardly any smell. the beer is Mississippi leg hound ale. what should I do? thanks in advance.

BTW thanks to everyone for the advice on my Pumpkin ale. final alcohol content was 10.5%. 1 beer gives you a fuzzy feeling and my wife now refuses to drink store bought beer.

are you fermenting in a bucket? sounds like the lid wasnt sealed all the way. the airlock doesn't really tell you much. The yeasty foam (krausen) on top says it's fermenting happily.

Last Sunday I brewed 2 batches of beer. one batch began to bubble in the airlock within 10 hours a bubble a second for 2 days before it stopped. The other batch has not made a single bubble through the airlock that I know of. I checked the temp and its at 72 F +/- and there is the yeasty foam at the top of the wort. there is hardly any smell. the beer is Mississippi leg hound ale. what should I do? thanks in advance.

BTW thanks to everyone for the advice on my Pumpkin ale. final alcohol content was 10.5%. 1 beer gives you a fuzzy feeling and my wife now refuses to drink store bought beer.

One of them probably has a little leak.

Your ferment temps are too warm for most ale yeast.

should I take the blanket off ?

It depends on how far along you are. Mid 60's is a much better temp for most ale yeast during the first 4-5 days. After that, a 5-6 degree bump to finish wouldn't hurt.

Advice that works for my buckets: if you're not seeing air lock action... Press down on the lid and see if you get any bubbles.... If you do, than I personally wouldn't be worried. If you don't, check to see if you see Krausen (I assume this was the yeasty foam). If you have Krausen... you should be golden! If you don't have Krausen... don't be worried. Take a gravity reading and check back in a couple days.

:drunk:

I pulled the airlock and put my nose to the hole and gave the bucket a squeeze. I think it burned my nose hairs. Definitely cleared my sinuses

Back