Fermentation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khan

Reaction score
I'm starting to get frustrated. I've been brewing for 3 years, and I haven't run into too many problems that didn't work themselves out eventually if left alone. However, I have two beers now that seem to be either stuck or just fermenting at a snails pace. The first is an IPA that's been fermenting for almost 8 weeks now and is still bubbling, but the hydro reading has been around 1.020 for awhile, perhaps it's creeping down a bit.

I've also got a batch of Ed's Haus Pale Ale that has been fermenting for over 4 weeks and has a hydro reading of 1.021 and there is still a little bubbling going on in the fermenter. Each beer started out in a cooler at around 65 degrees for two weeks, and then I took them out and let them sit at around 73. I've never had a fermentation take this long, and now it's two beers in a row. Different yeasts as well.

Any thoughts?

anything else different with these batches vs previous ones? Even something as simple as a new batch of sanitizer, different mash schedule, new LME supplier, etc etc

The only thing different I did with these two batches is it was the first time I placed them in a cooler with about 3 or 4 inches of water and wrapped a couple of wet t-shirts around the carboy and rotated frozen water bottles to keep the temp down. We've had record highs this summer, it's been crazy! Other than that, nothing has changed in my process, and usually most beers are done in about 2 weeks. I've never had beers take this long.

The fermentation started quickly enough. But it never appeared to be a very vigorous fermentation. The krausen wasn't very thick and it disappeared within a few days. But if I stand over the carboy I see a bunch of bubbles on the surface and fairly regular popping of the bubbles.

I'm betting you cooled it a bit more than necessary and it's just movin slow. I've had ales do this same thing in the winter before when my basement gets down into the lower 60's. I'd give it a good swirl while there's still plenty of CO2 in there. The swirl is to get any settled yeast back in the game for a little while. Just don't do it after all bubbling is stopped or you may get oxidation.... Or just leave it alone till it finishes on its own. it will probably be a couple points higher than planned, but oh well.

Back