Fermentation In Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
Wanting to step up to 3-5 gallon batches and the first one I did molded. I had the lid on the bucket and laid a bar towel over the airlock hole (which is maybe why it molded, maybe I had some old bugs in the bucket and didn't clean well enough). Either way, I'm wondering what people use to cover their buckets? Lid vs no lid? If using the lid, anything I could use instead?

Bucket with lid. Lid with drilled hole and grommet. Airlock in grommet. Pretty standard, cheap and easily available at any LHBS.

Also, if you had a moldy batch, dump your bucket and get a clean new one. Never skimp on cleaning and sanitation.

I use t shirt material and set the lid loosely over that to slow vinegar production, by reducing airflow.

Thanks for the advice. I'll def get a new bucket and do the Tshirt with a lid on top of that

He guys i just started researching kombucha and I was wondering if you have advice on flavors that i should try out!

You can get an idea from commercial products, for example raspberry/ginger is a pretty common flavor. You'll just have to experiment with different volumes of each to match the profile you're looking for

Back