FERMENTATION HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Greetings,

To start with, I have two batches fermenting, one a 6 Gallon coffee porter and one a 5 gallon gluten free sorgum based IPA. Starting gravities were 1.063 and 1.069, respectively.

Both beers have been in the same environment, in the basement. Temperature fluctuates between 59-68 degrees, given I'm in the north east.

I'm on day 6 of fermentation. I did a check as I haven't seen much activity from the gluten free beer. The G/F is at 1.042, showing very slow movement, while the porter is at 1.020.

Is sorgum known to not ferment as fast? Should I be concerned and possibly be adding more yeast or yeast nutrient?

Thanks!!

Possibly shocking the yeast with the temp swings which could cause them to stall, at this point i would try and get it in a 68-70F area and leave it for a week or 2 and check gravity again

Got to agree that those are not ideal temp swings. Maybe move the GF beer out of the basement for a week and see if it'll kick start it a bit.

thanks for the replies. Yea, I figured temperature might have had a play in it. What I didn't understand is why one beer is almost complete, while the other is stalled out. They are using different yeasts though, which may have something to do with that.

thanks for the replies. Yea, I figured temperature might have had a play in it. What I didn't understand is why one beer is almost complete, while the other is stalled out. They are using different yeasts though, which may have something to do with that.
probably have different fermentability, all fermentations are unique

Different yeasts have different temp ranges. The different yeasts may be the problem. The GF beer may not have all the nutrients the yeast needs. Malt beers have most nutrients. You might want to try adding some yeast nutrient as well as raising the temperature.

If the beers are on the floor of the basement, they may be cooler than you think. The floor is probably colder than the air temperature, and the fermenter will take the temperature of the floor over the air temp.

thank you guys for the great advice. I moved the buckets off of the floor ( onto the kitchen table in the basement ), raised the temp, and added yeast nutrient.

Shes bubbling pretty good this morning!!!

So after a few days, the beer has seen progress, going from 1.042 down to 1.032. The bubbling had been quite steady, but has seems to come to a halt at this point. I'll test again in a couple days to reassess and confirm that it is not moving.

Its a sorgum based IPA, with an OG of 1.069. I had imagined I would want it to get down to at least 1.020. If I find that it seems to have stalled out, should I add more yeast? I had used one packet of US-05, and its a 5 gallon batch.

I'd raise it to 72-75. The flavor profile is already set so the higher temperature won't change the flavor. Swirling the fermenter to stir in the yeast may help too.

I found my issue! I dry hopped as I was supposed to and it restarted everything. Final gravity is 1.012. Thank you everyone for the input!!

Back