Fermentation done after 48 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LargeNCharge

Reaction score
Hi all,
First time brewer here, excited to finally have a topic for this board as I plan on brewing quite a bit. I figure you guys get at least one post per day like this, but to relieve my paranoia, I'd like some input.

I'm brewing an American amber. I followed the instructions verbatim from the recipe kit. After about 24 - 36 hours I saw some very slow bubbling from my primary fermenter (bucket). Due to work and sleep I'm only checking it about once every 12 hours. Then, as of yesterday afternoon (48 hours), the bubbling was not happening at all. Since I had it in my 60 degree basement, I moved it upstairs where it's closer to 70 degrees. It was still not bubbling this morning 12 hours later.

So before heading into work this morning, I opened it up to check on it, thinking something wasn't right and I may need to re-pitch the yeast. There is no visible krausen, but plenty of residue about 2 inches above the wort. I measured the gravity and it's 1.014 (OG was about 1.045). This leads me to believe it's already mostly fermented somehow. At this point my plan is to stick to the schedule and switch it over to the secondary fermenter this weekend (6 - 7 days after brewing) and proceed as normal.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Your beer is fine. Move it to the secondary if you need the bucket or are making any additions, otherwise leave it in the primary for the next couple weeks until you get a pretty consistent SG for a few days. Bottle, condition, share, enjoy!

I've had beers finish in 24 hours. Just means you had a healthy vigorous fermentation. All is well.

ETA: and you definitely did the right thing by fermenting it in 60ish temps and then moving it to 70ish when activity died down.

Hi all,
First time brewer here, excited to finally have a topic for this board as I plan on brewing quite a bit. I figure you guys get at least one post per day like this, but to relieve my paranoia, I'd like some input.

I'm brewing an American amber. I followed the instructions verbatim from the recipe kit. After about 24 - 36 hours I saw some very slow bubbling from my primary fermenter (bucket). Due to work and sleep I'm only checking it about once every 12 hours. Then, as of yesterday afternoon (48 hours), the bubbling was not happening at all. Since I had it in my 60 degree basement, I moved it upstairs where it's closer to 70 degrees. It was still not bubbling this morning 12 hours later.

So before heading into work this morning, I opened it up to check on it, thinking something wasn't right and I may need to re-pitch the yeast. There is no visible krausen, but plenty of residue about 2 inches above the wort. I measured the gravity and it's 1.014 (OG was about 1.045). This leads me to believe it's already mostly fermented somehow. At this point my plan is to stick to the schedule and switch it over to the secondary fermenter this weekend (6 - 7 days after brewing) and proceed as normal.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Nothing too wrong-sounding about this. A ring = krausen = fermentation. And your OG and FG seem right for that style. Even if ferm is close to being done (and it's probably not TOTALLY done), you could give the fermenter a gentle swirl and see if it re-starts. What yeast did you use? Did you aerate the wort well prior to pitching the yeast?

I'll be one of many to suggest it... no need for a secondary. We know what the kit instructions say, but sometimes they are vague and over-generalized, like, "one set of instructions fits all [styles and circumstances]". Racking to a second vessel will do nothing for your beer that leaving it in primary won't, plus, doing so risks contamination. And oxidation, which is particularly problematic after fermentation is done. A secondary is thought to get the beer off the spent yeast, but that has become a bit of an old wive's tale in recent decades. A "secondary" is used when you are racking your beer to a fruit addition, etc., where an actual second phase of fermentation is expected. That said, I sometimes rack to a second vessel --- not to ferment, but --- to help clear a beer when I've added lots of hop material to it during primary/dry-hopping. But it's totally unnecessary. Your beer will clear fine, and with careful racking to your bottling vessel/keg, it will be very clear.

Let it ride in primary for at least 2 weeks, don't open it and peek at it anymore. Take an OG reading at that time. And another a couple days later. If they are the same, your beer is done fermenting. Leave it a few more days and then package.

EDIT: and welcome to the obsession!

Wow thanks for the quick replies, guys. I don't know the specific kind of yeast it was (I threw away the package after I pitched it) but is was dry yeast and following the instructions, I stirred the wort a bunch, pitched the yeast without rehydrating, and then stirred it a bunch more.

The bulk of fermentation is likely done, but it may drop a few more points. Also, fermentation isn't (necessarily) over when the gravity stops dropping. The yeast may need some time to clean up after themselves and remetabolize any unwanted compounds from fermentation. I like to let my beers sit at least a day or two after FG is reached for them to clean up and drop bright (clear).

I was going to say that when the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done, usually. It'll then slowly, uneventfully ferment down to a stable FG. This should be measured 2-3 days apart. If the numbers match, it's done. Then another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty after absorbing their by-products of fermentation.

Wow thanks for the quick replies, guys. I don't know the specific kind of yeast it was (I threw away the package after I pitched it) but is was dry yeast and following the instructions, I stirred the wort a bunch, pitched the yeast without rehydrating, and then stirred it a bunch more.

Just for future reference, it's a good idea to start keeping track of each type of yeast you use, and learning about their characteristics (temp range, fermentation speed/vigor, attenuation). It'll help you know what to expect with each batch going forward.

you definitely did the right thing by fermenting it in 60ish temps and then moving it to 70ish when activity died down.

So, leaving it at 60-something the whole time is doing the wrong thing?

:confused:

Hey, I'm not the one saying one way is "the right thing", leading one to believe that not doing it is the wrong thing.

I say, upping the temperature doesn't "ensure complete attenuation". If anything, sure, it speeds up the attenuation process, but if a yeast will ferment at 65, it will clean up, clear, and "ensure complete attenuation" at that temp, too. My brewing process seems to prove this.

:)

Also just some friendly advice, I wouldn't stir the wort after pitching it isn't necessary and is just an extra way to add contamination to your batch.

Well, I have noticed over the years on here that some stir the topped-off wort after adding the yeast. I prefer to stir them together first, take my hydrometer sample, then pitch. Can't hurt at that point, since the yeast aren't active yet. I just don't like the thought of loosing some yeasties in the test sample.

Latest posts

Back