Fermentation Complete 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i did a Caribou Slobber clone for my first AG BIAB and my temps were way off like i had posted in another post. my OG was 1.050 and after 2 weeks my SG is 1.030. i pitched another s-04 and 2-3 days later nothing. i also raised the fermenting temp up to 70F and still nothing.

so I'm guessing that my high mash temps (170F) caused the the lack of fermentation down to 1.015 like Beersmith said. this leaves me with 2.5% ABV and i would guess a very sweet beer??

Is there anyway i can fix this? i don't expect a miracle but maybe something to help??

I would get some amylase enzyme and throw it in there, if it's not readily available, get some Beano, crush a few tabs and toss those in. Beano has similar enzymes that would do the same job. At 170 F you would have denatured the amylase in the malt, and the added enzymes would convert any starches that are left over. since your OG is correct that may not be the problem, you may just have made too many unfermentable sugars with your high temp mash. here's what I would do if enzymes don't help: add a bunch of malt extract and make it a strong ale!

You've got a few options, but first you should taste the beer and see if is good enough to drink and then package it if so. One thing you could do is blend it with a much drier beer. Another thing is add some enzymes to break down the unfermentable sugars. This should allow the yeast to bring down the gravity some, but can be unpredictable. Another option would be to pitch some wild/sour yeast like Brett. These yeasts will typically be able to ferment sugars that typical ale yeast cannot, which will bring down the gravity some, but also dramatically change the flavor profile. You could over-carbonate the beer some, as this will make it seems drier and help cut down the sweetness. Since it's a smaller beer, I'd probably just bottle it if it tastes halfway decent. When it's carbed and cold it will certainly taste less sweet.

could i make this beer again but more on the dry side and blend it together? mash in the 148-150 range, ferment like normal, then mix and keg? is that possible?

It sounds like you know what you're doing and where the problem lies, however I will mention that if you are measuring the FG with a refractometer and not compensating for alcohol then you might be considerably lower than you think. If you're using a hydrometer then "it is what it is".

so i was able to find some amylase in town. directions say to add 1 teaspoon to a 5 gallon batch. is that what you guys would recommend be doing to get down roughtly 15points?

That amount is fine. Just to be safe, I would boil some water and add the amylase when it cools to 150 F, then add it to your beer. being paranoid is good for beer

I wouldn't add any more than that. I think I added a tsp and it brought the beer down about ten points. I would probably first try the old stir up yeast and increase temperature trick. On my stalled old ale I tried that, then I tried adding an active yeast pitch. Neither one worked, but the amylase did. I would steer clear of Beano myself. I would worry about it dropping the gravity too far.

I wouldn't add any more than that. I think I added a tsp and it brought the beer down about ten points. I would probably first try the old stir up yeast and increase temperature trick. On my stalled old ale I tried that, then I tried adding an active yeast pitch. Neither one worked, but the amylase did. I would steer clear of Beano myself. I would worry about it dropping the gravity too far.

i had it at 66f, stirred up the bottom, and brought the temperature up to 73f for 24hrs and nothing. i even pitched another pack of yeast at 73F and nothing.

so i added 1/2 teaspoon and stirred it in really good stirring up the trub. 1 week after, checked SG still at 1.030. so i pitched more yeast. i will be double checking again tonight and if no change i may just keg it and have a taste. if it's ok i'll bottle it.

Any updates on this?

Im in nearly the same boat... Accidentally mashed too high, OG was 1.062, stalled at 1.026 but wanted 1.013. Did some research on here and decided to add some amylase enzyme. That was 24 hours ago. No bubbles or even a slight hint of active fermentation yet.

I pitched the amylase 2 times and re pitched yeast 3 times with no luck at all. Think this one is screwed. I tasted it and its really sweet. I'll keg it and try it. I dont have much hope for it.

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

So if I pitched the amylase and it does nothing now, will it stay dormant or can I potentially have bottle bombs after adding priming sugar and bottling?

There is one other ridiculous thing you could try before you dump it, however you may just be stuck with the sweetness of unfermentables. That is boil that **** again and add some extract or any sugar. Make a strong new culture, chill aerate and repitch. You may just end up with something drinkable. Of and add more hops.

There is one other ridiculous thing you could try before you dump it, however you may just be stuck with the sweetness of unfermentables. That is boil that **** again and add some extract or any sugar. Make a strong new culture, chill aerate and repitch. You may just end up with something drinkable. Of and add more hops.

or just go ahead and brew another beer. :D

Man this batch sounds just like one I have going on at the moment. Brewed 10 gallon 1st July 13, split into two carboys, 1st one with 1056 yeast (starter made just with walk by and swirl growth) 2nd one with nw pale ale yeast (starter made on stir plate better!!) 2nd one started right away. 1st one took 24hr. 1st one ended mid July @ 1006. 2nd one is stuck at 1030 for last week and a half. Stirred the yeast cake up slightly, nothing...heard to maybe add champagne yeast.? Anyone try this before?

Back