Fermentation Chest Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Temp control has always been an issue for me, no rooms in my house have a stable temp. So I have been debating getting a small chest freezer to make a fermentation chamber? Only reason I even thought about it is a local appliance store has 5.0cf chest freezers on sale for $150. Which looks like it should easily hold an ale pale or possibly a "brew bucket" if I ever wanted some more bling. I like the best freezer idea because it would easily catch possible air lock blowout.

I would put this inside my house, in a spare bedroom, so it would not be subject to the temp swings that is in my uninstalled detached garage.

That being said I am researching temp control. I am a it confused though. I see allot of guys are only running cooling control, but others are running both cooling and heating. Is heating really needed??

The Johnson controller is very simple and a quick plug and play. I like simple and fast, though it a bit expensive yet maybe it would last longer vs other products??

Or I could go with the STC 1000 and have the heating/cooling capacity though I am stuck reading it in Celsius.. Though for the same price I could get a single relay version of the STC 1000 which has the Fahrenheit option.

Anyone have some quick input??

I heat in winter with a Fermwrap and STC controller and to get to belgian temperatures. My $50 Craigslist freezer is used in summer for ales and winter for lagers. If you put a collar on the freezer, you can set another fermenter on the hump.

I choose to build the STC 1000 with cooling and heating because where I am it gets too cold in my basement. Also, near the end of fermentation it's helpful to maintain or raise your fermentation temperature slightly to get better attenuation. Search for a conversion chart on the forums here and the celsius read out isn't really an issue.

what are peoples thoughts on the paint can heaters? they seem much cheaper alternatives to the heater belts..

Haven't needed one yet but thought about that or other people use hair dryers thought about that too since it will also serve to circulate the air In The chamber.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Haven't needed one yet but thought about that or other people use hair dryers thought about that too since it will also serve to circulate the air In The chamber.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Although I don't know if it has actually happened my little bit of research on this site strayed me away from hair dryer because of the potential fire hazard. I also feel like I read that they may take up too much power for most temp controllers to handle increasing the possibility of badness.

I have the STC1000 and love it. I use a bulb in a coffee can, I think it works great. My mechanical room is in my basement, so it sometimes stays warmer than I would like. Once you get at temp, I haven't noticed much heating or cooling going on. And yes I have 2 conversion charts on top of my fermentation chamber. As a rookie brewer, it is nice to say 'I have a fermentation chamber" :D
Cheers,
Tom

I have a 7 cuft chest freezer with a Johnson controller. It works wonders from about April to November here in NC however this winter I have had to go old school and bring my carboys inside and deal with temps that way. It has just been to cold and I have been to lazy to get a heater and put it in my freezer. Summer time I have done everything from ales to lagers with great success.

I use a chest freezer as a keezer with a johnson controller and it works great. I'm planning to swap over to the STC1000 so I can heat and cool from one controller.

I purchased a Lasko 200 watt heater a few months ago, and as of late it starting turning itself off when the power was still on. I went back old school, and returned to using my heating pad. I have an STC-1000 I built, and heating and cooling are both necessary where I live. The first time I used my 5 cu. ft. freezer as a fermentation chamber, the bucket was too hot, then too cold, it took a day or so to settle in. The next time I used the "chamber", it was winter, and I set the t-stat about four degrees cooler than I wanted as the wort to be. I turned off the cooling control so there would be no cycling of hot/cold for hours like before. The wort was 50* F or so, and within 3 or 4 hours, the temperature stabilized to where it was set at, and I then bumped the last few degrees up, and later that day pitched my yeast.
I do the opposite in summer by turning off the heat, cool within 3 or 4 degrees, let it settle in, finish cooling, and then pitch the yeast.
In total, building an STC-1000 with enclosure, etc., was about $30.00 if I remember correctly.Btw, It is no bother having the temperature displayed in Celsius thanks to the Internet.

I use a chest freezer as a keezer with a johnson controller and it works great. I'm planning to swap over to the STC1000 so I can heat and cool from one controller.

I use my johnson controllers to heat when needed, all you have to do is move the top jumper over one prong and it will change from cooling mode to heating mode.

I use my johnson controllers to heat when needed, all you have to do is move the top jumper over one prong and it will change from cooling mode to heating mode.

I want 1 controller that will heat and cool as needed (hookup to keezer and hook up to heating pads).

A 40 watt bulb will heat a chest freezer just fine in all but sub freezing temps. If you need more, I recommend a ceramic heating bulb (used in reptile aquariums) sold in 50, 100, 150W increments.

Those freezers are well insulated and enclosed spaces. Be careful not to overdue it.

I bought the freezer
-ordered STC 1000 and picked up all the stuff locally to build a box for it
-bought the items to make a paint can heater

I am also going to build a small wooden platform because I will be leaving the setup it on fairly new carpet and I would hate for anything to stain the carpet.

What about a air circulation, is it needed in something like a chest freezer?

I bought the freezer
-ordered STC 1000 and picked up all the stuff locally to build a box for it
-bought the items to make a paint can heater

I am also going to build a small wooden platform because I will be leaving the setup it on fairly new carpet and I would hate for anything to stain the carpet.

What about a air circulation, is it needed in something like a chest freezer?

Only if you build a collar, then a fan to move air to the top of the compartment is advisable. Otherwise, not necessary.

No collar will be used, the ale pale will be in the so called "pit" of the chamber and the paint can heater will be on the hump of the freezer..

So I should be good to go..

Thanks guys!!

Latest posts

Back