Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
My plan has been to hook up a thermostat like this to a freezer. In Seattle I am looking at $100 for a used chest freezer + the hassle of moving/transporting.

I just saw this counter height mini fridge for $30. Is there that much down side to using this instead of a freezer?

I am assuming it has enough depth to hold 1x 6 gallon glass carboy with a diameter of 12". If I am incorrect in this assumption please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compressor hump on bottom? Freezer compartment on top?

. . . but for thirty bucks, you might be able to make it work.

Compressor hump on bottom? Freezer compartment on top?

. . . but for thirty bucks, you might be able to make it work.

So I would probably need to remove the freezer box and build a shelf over the compressor hump. Thanks I will take that into consideration when I make my pre-purchase inspection.

you can only ferment one at a time in the dorm fridge; the $100 option could fit multiple fementers.

All depends how many fermenters you have going at any one time.

So I would probably need to remove the freezer box and build a shelf over the compressor hump.
I can't tell from the picture, but on a lot of this style mini fridge the freezer shelf is the cooling element. Sometimes they can be twisted around or bent down. A shelf at hump level will limit height. You might be ok with a bucket fermenter, but a carboy with an airlock could be a problem.

Back