Fermentation Chamber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooedViking9

The Viking Vintner
Reaction score
I've bought this and I'm looking to convert a shelving unit by enclosing with some type of cheap sheathing. Will be insulating with ps foam sheets. My question is where in the setup should the heat lamp be? Bottom, top, side, rear? Center? I understand heat rises so I'm wondering where to put it to maximize efficiency as well as reduce "hotspots". I was thinking about extending box about 2 inches back from shelf to create a soffit of sorts to allow heated air to enter all levels. Not sure if I can keep this at a constant temp throughout or if my idea is doomed and I should just wait till spring to start my meads. I live in northern Iowa so I'm looking at 50°F in my basement for pretty much the entire cold season. So I'm working with what I've got to attempt a solution.

Attachments

• received_418467845517043.jpeg
    received_418467845517043.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20191117-093015.png
    Screenshot_20191117-093015.png
    441.2 KB · Views: 37
50°F is great for making wine. Numerous wine strains will happily ferment at that temp.

Personally I would lean toward an actual heat wrap like a FermWrap and an Inkbird 308 thermostat, rather than heating shelves with a lamp. The lamp won't provide even heating for multiple carboys, especially on different shelves.

What strains will ferment in that low temp? I've got ec-1118, D47 & red star premier classique. Will any of these do the trick?

EC-1118 definitely. It's still very quick and clean at 50°F in my experience.

From the Google:
EC-1118 ferments well between 45° to 95°F
D-47 ferments well between 50° to 86°F
Red Star Premier Classique ferments well between 59-86 F

That being said, I would use the EC-1118 or the D-47 and forget the infrared lamp.

Those temps are it’s tolerance to live and be active. Lower temps cause slower ferments but retain more fruit/honey flavor. Higher temp will go faster, but will loose more of the desired flavor, and the yeast will start imparting it’s own flavor from stress, good or bad is up to what your looking for. To control temp, you’d need to heat or cool an insulated box and have a thermostat to control the heating/cooling element. Or control the temp of a water bath.

50°F is great for making wine. Numerous wine strains will happily ferment at that temp.

Personally I would lean toward an actual heat wrap like a FermWrap and an Inkbird 308 thermostat, rather than heating shelves with a lamp. The lamp won't provide even heating for multiple carboys, especially on different shelves.
I'll agree with this. Apply the heat where you actually want it. My fermentation "chamber" is a reptile heating mat, temp controller and reflective pipe insulation cut to fit.

Bonus: it folds up.

Latest posts

Back