Ferment temps question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLMCHENRY

Reaction score
I know that keeping temps regulated during the first week is very important for flavors of my beers, but how exact do you have to hold them?
On the extract kits that i have been using they will show a range of 64-73 degrees. Am I OK as long as I am within those temps? On my buckets the fementometer shows the brews at about 68 at night and 72 during the day. Is that too big of a swing?
Soon I plan on having a chest freezer set up, but not for at least 3 or 4 more brews.

during the most active part of the fermentation (first few days), the internal temp of your beer is going to be maybe 4-10 degrees warmer than the outside air. A lot of yeast strains will give off some esters (fruity, clovey tastes and smells) at the higher end of their temperature range, and if you jump outside the top end, higher alcohols (fusels) are likely to develop. Until you get your chest freezer set up, I'd suggest using some sort of thermal picnic bag like the kind you can get at Sam's/Walmart and 4 2-liter bottles of water to freeze. Twice a day you swap out the pair of melted bottles for the pair of ice cube bottles. That should help keep your fermentation temp somewhere around 66-68. Good luck brewing in the desert!

I got a large plastic tub in the garden section at Menards. After the carboy is filled, I fill the tub with water about half way up. I swap frozen water bottles in and out and can keep the temp in the high 50's if I want, though usually 63 to 65. The whole arrangement is on a 4-wheel dolly cart so I can move it around.

There are other similar setups, involving old T-shirts and fans. Search on "swamp cooler" for some other ideas.

Cheers!

Back