Fermcap and Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlinyTheMiddleAged

Reaction score
All,

As I struggled a few weeks ago to cram wort for a Pliny the Younger clone into my slightly undersized kettle, I realized that I needed help to prevent a boil over. I grabbed my Fermcap, added a few drops to the kettle, and the boil over was prevented. But it got me thinking.

I see folks worrying about oils in their beer - nuts, chocolate, whatever ingredient has oil - people say that too much will keep the beer head down. Or soap - don't use soap to clean your beer glasses - no head. Don't use soap to clean your kettle - no head. But nobody says don't use Fermcap which is used to keep foam down. Why is that? Does it go away during fermentation?

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks!!!

Yes, I know what it is. What I don't know is what happens to it. It's good at preventing foam from forming - so it's good at preventing boil overs and good to use when making starters (to keep the krausen down).

Why does it settle out during fermentation? Do the yeast pull it out (it passes through people unaffected, but do yeast not pass it)?

Thanks again!

It settles to the bottom of the fermentor.

Is there something about it that worries you? I can confidently say that it doesn't reduce head, or head retention at all. From my own experiences (I use baby gas drops) and from what I've read and heard from others who use it in starters, during the boil, and during fermentation.

Fermcap S is awesome, works well, is safe and has no impact on head retention of finished beer.

Fermcap S is awesome, works well, is safe and has no impact on head retention of finished beer.

+1 here. I will admit that I gave up on using it in the fermenter after I saw no appreciable change in the amount of blowoff-worthy krausen I was seeing. BUT, in the boil, it has been a game-changer.

And I've yet to see any change at all in head characteristics.

I use FermcapS on all of my brews during the boil and can confidently say that I have no issues with head retention.

Thanks everyone!

I wasn't really concerned about it - I didn't have much choice but to use it and it worked great! I guess I could have bought a bigger kettle, but a few drops of Fermcap is cheaper and easier.

My question was really why folks are all paranoid about head reducing agents but happily use Fermcap (or anti-gas drops for infants). I also admit to using soap to clean my beer glasses and occasionally on a stubborn spot on my kettle and have not noticed any problem with beer head.

I'll see what this Pliny the Younger clone looks like in a few weeks but based on everyone's comments, the Fermcap will have no impact at all.

Thanks!

Fermcap is awesome stuff. FYI I only use 2-4 drops in a 10 gallon batch, much less than they recommend but it prevents boil-overs in the kettle and I haven't noticed an effect on the head of my finished beers.

Thanks everyone!

I wasn't really concerned about it - I didn't have much choice but to use it and it worked great! I guess I could have bought a bigger kettle, but a few drops of Fermcap is cheaper and easier.

My question was really why folks are all paranoid about head reducing agents but happily use Fermcap (or anti-gas drops for infants). I also admit to using soap to clean my beer glasses and occasionally on a stubborn spot on my kettle and have not noticed any problem with beer head.

I'll see what this Pliny the Younger clone looks like in a few weeks but based on everyone's comments, the Fermcap will have no impact at all.

Thanks!

FWIW I generally use a dishwasher to clean glasses (washing by hand, if the glasses start to look bad), and sometimes I refill the rinse agent. I haven't seen a noticeable change in head retention, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison either.

I DID see an article where someone did a comparison, and the difference was pretty interesting. The best pours were the ones that were rinsed in Starsan. Apparently Starsan removes whatever film on the sides of the glass reduces head retention.

Back