Ferm Question/Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezzesteak

Reaction score
have a couple of questions to help streamline my process..

for the first time in 1 year i finally have a problem. i have too much beer done fermenting and not enough corney kegs, bottles, time to drink, etc...:ban:

i have some beers that are now done fermenting, yes i checked the gravity for three days, and now its time to throw in secondary. yes i like secondaries.

if i throw it in a secondary and dry hop can i throw in fridge and let "age" in there or should i put in secondary and let it sit at ferm temp for two weeks.

i want to rack on top of my yeast cakes on the ones that are done so i want to get them in a secondary ASAP. :rockin:

If fermentation is complete, then I see no reason not to put your secondary in the fridge, if there is room. In fact, I think that it is a good idea to do so.

I would just leave the carboy as it is until a week before you are able to keg/ bottle then dry hop.

Thanks guys...I only have 2 6.5 gallon carboys and that's why I wanted to get them out so I can ferm new batch

Sounds like a pretty green brew at this point, so I wouldn't fridge it yet unless you can hold the fridge in the 60s. If "room temp" for you is under 75°F I'd rack it into whatever you have to use and hold it at room temp 'til you're ready to start chilling it down...

Cheers!

If the fermentation is done, then go ahead and keg it. Cold conditioning never hurt nobody. The extra time will only make your beer more clear. Get them all lined up in a cold queue and start drinking.

The only thing I didn't note in my reply above is that there is an advantage to leaving your beer on the yeast cake for a few extra days -- it can help prevent certain off-flavors. Such a practice often eliminates the need for secondaries. Even so, I don't think you'll have a problem doing what you suggest.

Latest posts

Back