Ferm chamber fridge compressor buzzing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
I've got a brand new minifridge and a dual stage Johnson controller. When the compressor runs it makes a horrid rattling sound. When plugged directly into the wall it doesn't make this noise.

I haven't heard of this and figured I'd ask if I didn't putting a setting in correctly or something. Thanks in advance.

If it's only doing it with the controller, then I wouldn't continue to use it. The controller relay might be chattering. Try plugging in an incandescent lamp to check if the controller is toggling on and off.

Since it's brand new, I'd test it by plugging directly into the wall socket. If it still makes the noise, I'd take it back to the store.

By any chance did you try to use it right after it was moved? When one moves a fridge or freezer, it's a really good idea to leave it sit for 6-8 hours before plugging it in to allow the compressor oil to settle.

Great ideas. Thanks. I'll plug it into a light and report back.

If it is flickering with the light I assume the controller is defective?

Plugged the fridge into the wall and ran like a dream. Plugged the Ranco dual stage into the wall and the fridge compressor rattled. Plugged a light into both the heating and cooling sides and it ran like a dream. I'm at a loss.

I wonder if somehow the Ranco is holding some juice back and causing the compressor to run at a different speed or something.

Undersized wiring? Loose connections at the Ranco's terminal block?
fwiw, I use 14ga for my controller wiring; you really need at least 16ga, so check the wire gauge. If that passes muster, I'd crack that puppy open and at least take a look and a good tug on each wire...

Cheers!

It came wired, so I have no idea the gauge. I could crack it open, that is a good idea. But if things were loose wouldn't the light be flickering, too? Thanks, Day Tripper.

The inductive load of a compressor is a lot larger, and a lot different than that of a light, especially if its an incandescent light. You could try plugging in another inductive load, like your cloths washer, refrigerator, table saw, etc, and see if it rattles too.

Thanks. The fridge shouldn't be rattling, right? This isn't an issue that is just inherent to the situation, right?

Just ran a circular saw on it and it worked smooth as ever.

Just to be clear the rattling is coming from the fridge, and am assuming it is the compressor.

The rattling is now happening regardless if the controller is connected or not. 60 day return policy here I come!

The rattling is now happening regardless if the controller is connected or not. 60 day return policy here I come!

Better now than to discover it on day 61.:D

When you get the new one home, let it sit 8 hours before plugging it in.

Back