Fellowship of the Drink XII: The Bad News Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My FedEx account is pretty much updated, but I don't think I've ship to Buckeyes in a long time.

Oh?

IMG_0372.jpg

Not recommended. Highly fermentable, which leaves you no flavor left behind. Save that stuff for your plate.

Sausage and waffles. Pour liberally over both.

I actually bought a gallon of maple syrup when we were last in Vermont for the purpose of making maple "wine" (no idea what the term for it is). I went for the darker stuff in the hopes that some of the flavor would come through - fingers crossed that my logic plays true.

Speaking of, I should probably get that fermenting if I ever want to drink it...

Finally, I got a chance to clean off the coffee table in the living room to take a photo. @TwistedGray blew up my porch with some very well traveled beer (and TShirt, and maracas, and caramels)...
A8E642DC-6932-4201-9985-92DD82C47023.jpeg

Oh, and lest I forget, most importantly:
98EAA492-E358-47AF-801D-CC21DEF83612.jpeg

They’re all in the fridge now (to prevent explosions - it’s a safety thing, I swear! ;) ). Looking forward to drinking them this weekend

Jesus Christ I don’t drink or look at the computer for one Friday night...

@CTownBrewer should be going out Monday. Pretty sure he’s been in Vegas and gets back this weekend so a porch bomb is certainly in order.

Can’t wait! Just got back a couple days ago.

I’ve been having NEIPA withdrawal, so I’ve been getting into my remaining cans from my last side trade with fourfarthing!

And for reference, here is what ASB had to say about their exploding cans.
Thanks for reaching out.

The problem is very simple: there's a TON (literally, over a metric ton in this batch) of fruit that went into this batch and if cans are not stored cold, they will referment in the can and cause the situation you are experiencing. There are no bugs, we can assure you of that. After Prickly Pear was released, we put on subsequent kettle sour cans, clear as daylight "Warning: Contains Lots of Fruit! Must Be Kept Cold At All Times" (refer to Tayberry cans, which I see are also stored in your garage).

Fine to replace your cans, send me an address and we'll mail you a 4-pack.

But I will say, I'm a bit concerned about seeing other fruited sours in your garage, and you even have some Slice Joint being stored warm as well. These beers are designed for relatively quick consumption (within a month) so that they can be enjoyed at peak freshness. They deserve to be stored cold, as well. Aroma / Flavor / Overall Quality will degrade at warm temperatures, especially when stored out for several months. The YoE beers are fine to cellar, and will actually improve with age and gain complexity over time. But not Alvarado Street beers. This is why we come out with new cans each week, so they are consumed fresh.

Hit us back with an address, and thanks for understanding where we're coming from.

It never dawned on me that they didn't fully ferment out their fruit, and therefore any can deformities will likely result in explosions due to the continued fermenting.

This makes sense though (re: fermenting fruit) because their kettle sours are very much fruit forward brews, and now I know. I wonder, then, how they manage to get certain levels of carbonation? I assume they're not canning while fermenting on the fruit, but their response leads me to believe otherwise. Maybe they maintain an extremely low temperature while adding in the fruit and force carb in the cans? That would prevent the fruit from fermenting, but pull in all the flavors?

Makes sense why that Tayberry you sent was deformed and over carbed and why something exploded in that box. It was pretty hot that week.

Latest posts

Back