Feemtation just stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemostale

Reaction score
So I brewed an ipa last saturday with an oh of 1.066. I used approximately a 1 liter yeast starter. Afterword hours after pitching the starter I got signs of fermentation. The next two days consisted of extremely active fermentation. Yesterday I watched my blowoff jug for ten minutes and not a single bubble. The krausen is already gone from the top. I have not taken a gravity reading yet.

I guess my question is, is this normal to have a complete fermentation in two days? Is it too early to rack into a secondary? This was my first experience using a yeast starter, so I have no frame of reference here. Please a couple of words of encouragement and or wisdom...

I forgot to add this was only my second all grain recipe And I used white labs yeasts English ale yeast wlp002

perogi said:
What temperature was the fermentation?

A little on the high side around 78. I haven't putt air conditioner in the widow yet. That is the only way I can keep my temp regulated. The label on the yeast vile said to start and keep above 70.

78 ambient or wort temperature? Remember that fermentation raises the temperature of the wort. Either way that seems too high. I ferment most of mine in the low to mid sixties.

Your fermentation has probably passed peak because of the high temperatures. I would let it sit for at least another week or three. Then you can take gravity measurements and if they are stable over 3 days then you can either bottle or transfer to secondary. I do primary at 3-4 weeks with no secondary on most of my brews.

So, quick fermentation is likely. High temperatures may have produced esters. Aging longer may mellow any off flavors.

Fermentation temperature control is very important in making great beer. Look into using a swamp cooler if you don't have any other control.

Thanks for the tip. Yea that is wort tolerate from the thermo on the carboy. I will look into the swamp cooler thing

firemostale said:
Thanks for the tip. Yea that is wort tolerate from the thermo on the carboy. I will look into the swamp cooler thing

Meant to type temperature not tolerate.

Back