Feeding used grain to ducks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why wouldn't you feed wild ducks?
My spent grains are going to my brothers place to feed the wild deer since I don't feed them at my house.

It makes them used to humans and reliant on humans for food. Making them no longer wild. Deer are just as bad. In my sisters neighborhood so many people feed the deer when they are hungry they come onto peoples decks. Last year my sister found one on her back deck, scary part is the deck is 14ft in the air with a set of stairs at one end.

Around these parts, the deer that live where there is zero hunting anywhere near get very tame because everyone feeds them.
I don't feed them here because the same grain I dump for deer would also be vermin food. My brother lives where he's the only house around and feeds the deer on his place though and mostly only sees them activity at night on his trail cameras. Deer, Elk and coyotes all trying to get the same apples and whatever else he dumps out there.

Ducks do get very tame but since I've never heard of tame ducks showing up where no one feeds them, I think they are smart enough to know where it's safe ( they get food ) and where it's not.

Sounds like your sister needs to eat that deer.

Judging by the size of the deer in the neighborhood if it was average it would not have been worth it. These are the smallest breeding deer I have ever seen, and I am from an area without big deer.

I can remember one night over there the doorbell rang, and you guess it. It was a deer at the front door nuzzling the doorbell while eating the mums.

mb82 said:
Judging by the size of the deer in the neighborhood if it was average it would not have been worth it. These are the smallest breeding deer I have ever seen, and I am from an area without big deer.

I can remember one night over there the doorbell rang, and you guess it. It was a deer at the front door nuzzling the doorbell while eating the mums.

Did you invite him in?

Maybe you can experiment and start a Spent Grain Pâté thread in the Meat section of the forums.

They look all cute and snuggle, but you let em in the house and they'll wreck the joint. I'd still rather have them over than family.

Back