Feeding spent grains to deer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck feeding spent grain to deer or wild turkeys? Search turned up pigs, chickens, goats and cows. We have deer and turkeys in our yard now and then. Just spread out 12 pounds of spent grain from a stout with roasted barley. Do deer or turkeys prefer pillsners or stouts?

I tossed the last batch out on the side of my house for the neighbors cats to roll in.
I figured in a few days, they will have stinky cats as payment for all the cat piss they give me.

I think in the latest copy of BYO magazine there's a story in the back about a guy brewing outside and a small herd of deer are watching him. It includes a picture of a small buck eating from his pile of grain after he finished.

I live out in the woods where there are plenty of deer and turkeys. I set my spent grains out along the edge of the woods this summer and nothing other than my dog touched them. I might try it again this winter when the deer have fewer options.

I think I saw a pic of a bunch of deer eating spent grain in one of the mods yard a while back. I'm sure whoever it was will jump in.

I've got a lot of deer roaming my property, but I don't ever recall seeing them eating spent grains. Too busy eating stuff in my garden. Maybe they do in the winter, IDK.

Birds and rats. Deer just walked past the pile and the rabbits were not into either. It's the rats that made me stop leaving he grains outside.

Just don't feed them to your dog, especially if they are inside dogs!

Maybe deer have a better digestive system when it comes to spent grains.

There must be a story here. Chicken? Just 1?

I'm envisioning Kramer trying to avoid eggs from "sweatshop chickens" and he ends up with a rooster :)

Latest posts

Back