Feedback on local bottled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere322

Former Sloper
Reaction score
https://buhlwater.weebly.com/about.html

Been using this with RO for my lagers and want feedback on the specifics on the mineral content etc.
I'm curious what people have to say about the mineral content and if it's acceptable for lagers or ales. I assume it is because of my results. My lagers have always turned out great.

I am a total noob when it comes to water for brewing.

The alkalinity is of concern. If you dilute it with 3 parts of RO alkalinity will be more or less under control. But if you have to do a 3:1 dilution you should ask yourself why you should not just use straight RO.

While I'd go straight RO (because it's simple and predictable AF) as an alternative could the OP cook out the bicarbonate with acid?

Cheers!

Yes. Not only can he knock out the alkalinity with acid but simultaneously supplement the lowish sulfate (33 mg/L) and/or low chloride (2 mg/L) at the same time. This isn't often done in the US as food grade sulfuric and hydrochloric acids are not readily available. Thus here brewers tend to use phosphoric or lactic acid for this job. In any case it is important to realize that eache mEq of alkalinity removed with acid is replaced by a mEq of the anion of the acid employed and one must think about the advantages or disadvantages of that.

Latest posts

Back