Favorite flavor combinations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So far, my favorite I think is just plain old blackberries from the garden, after being frozen all winter. I just grabbed a big handful, and whirled them in the blender then strained them added them to 1/2 gallon of finished kombucha before bottling.

I also liked the fresh strawberries (done the same way), but it came out much more tart than the blackberries did.

I think my second favorite was a lemon zest/minced ginger combination. It tasted a lot like my favorite ginger ale, but without the sugar.

I was thinking about using some more savory type of things from the garden- maybe rosemary or basil- but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. Have you done any unusual flavor combinations?

My favorite is a combo of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and blue berry from the freezer section at the store. 1.25 lbs in a 2 gallon batch, seconadaried for 4 days and then into the keg.

One of the things I like about drinking Kombucha is that it replaces drinking soda as it seems to have the same refreshing satisfaction you would get from pouring some cola or root beer over ice and drinking it down. Very soon I will be adding Kombucha to my brewing hobbies and was planning on experimenting with ingredients like sassafras to see if I can get some of them soda flavors into the brew. A really quick 2 second internet search found me this Natural Cola syrup recipe that I would be interested in playing with.

To make the Natural Cola Syrup: Combine the water, lemon zest, lime zest, orange zest, cinnamon, bitter orange peel, coriander seed, nutmeg, and gum arabic (if using) in a large saucepan. Whisk together until the gum arabic dissolves. Stir in the sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

Not saying I need something that tastes exactly like cola or root beer, just looking to get some of the flavors.

I like honey and ginger. I use Grolsch bottles, and add 1 tablespoon of tea from a new batch, 1 tablespoon of honey and 4 gms of diced ginger root. I let it secondary ferment for 10 days to 2 weeks then refrigerate for 2 days. Very carbonated and delicious!

Back