Faux Beechwood aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I would like to add something to simulate Beechwood chips to the cornies in which I'm conditioning/krausening lagers. I used to use these ceramic noodles in an old Eheim aquarium canister filter which look like they should provide a lot of surface area (they have a coarse finish). I would prefer something I can reuse and can boil to sanitize. Any better ideas? Any faux-beechwood-aging tips?

My tentative plan was to slightly 'over-krausen' in a corny on the media/chips, spunding it (set P undetermined), and let rest at ~50* F for ~3 weeks. Then closed-transfer to serving keg. I also was considering laying the keg on it's side with IN dip tube at 12 o-clock, not sure if that's worth the trouble. Any help/tips appreciated.

I like the idea! I wonder how much flavor the beechwood aging really adds. I've always suspected it was more about helping to clear the beer, in place of say gelatin or other products. I wonder how important surface charges are, and then how the ceramic compares to the wood? It might be an interesting experiment to compare no fining to gelatin versus ceramic

From what I've read, it is for conditioning the beer due to a bunch more surface area for the yeast land on. Beechwwod is allegedly used because it doesn't impart any flavors/tannins to the beer.

Here is something I found here on HBT:

I am writing this letter in response to Fred Eckhardtâs column in the March issue of All About Beer. In the column, Mr. Eckhardt makes several direct references to Anheuser- Buschâs brewing practices and to our position on contract brewing which are inaccurate, and I would like to provide clarification for your readers. Furthermore, while we agree with Mr. Eckhardtâs right to state his opinions, we take exception when anyone spreads false information or fails to check facts when writing about Budweiser or any of our beers. The fact is we use a traditional process when brewing Budweiser, and we go to great lengths to ensure the quality and consistency of all of our beers.

We never have claimed that beechwood aging takes place in beechwood barrels -- our beer is aged in stainless steel vessels (which are not glass-lined.) Beechwood aging is a traditional European brewing process in which chips of beechwood are layered in the bottom of the lagering tank before the tank is filled with beer, and before the beer is kraeusened.

The Budweiser lagering process involves cooling and transferring nearly end-fermented beer to a closed lagering tank in which clean beechwood chips have been layered on the bottom. A special kraeusen brew, that is actively fermenting, is added immediately. The addition of 15 percent kraeusen allows a secondary fermentation to take place, which creates natural carbonation.

It is crucial that kraeusen is added immediately after Budweiser is put in a lager tank. This marks the beginning of the aging period. Our beers, like traditional German lagers, are aged substantially longer than the column suggests. For example, Budweiser is aged, or lagered, with beechwood chips for approximately 3 weeks, a longer period than used by many brewers.

Many old-world brewers used beechwood chips instead of other types of wood because beechwood is low in phenolics and resins that otherwise would impart woody flavor to the beer. These chips are boiled in water and baking soda-and not soda ash-before use. Having a latticework of beechwood chips on the bottom of our lager tanks allows our lager yeast to settle over the wood instead of creating layers at the bottom of the vessel. This in turn allows a greater amount of yeast contact with aging beer, which ensures complete fermentation, natural carbonation and flavor maturation.

It is inaccurate to equate beechwood aging with fining. Fining refers to a process of adding a substance (such as isinglass) to the beer as it is aging or being stored. As the fining agent settles to the bottom of the vessel, its natural charge attracts yeast cells and particulate matter, thus enhancing clarification of the beer. At Anheuser-Busch, we do not use fining agents. Our lengthy lagering process allows plenty of time for the beer to clarify, with yeast settling naturally onto the beechwood at the bottom of the vessel.

<I removed some impertinent text>

Thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight.

Sincerely,
Mitch Steele
Brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

I like the idea! I wonder how much flavor the beechwood aging really adds. I've always suspected it was more about helping to clear the beer, in place of say gelatin or other products. I wonder how important surface charges are, and then how the ceramic compares to the wood? It might be an interesting experiment to compare no fining to gelatin versus ceramic

The way Budweiser uses it, it's just for clarity and speeding up the lagering process. The supposedly boil the beechwood in water with baking soda to remove all of the flavor. Actually aging on beechwood is totally different.

In my reading of the quote, it sounds like the chips are to provide a surface to settle onto WITHOUT forming a thick layer on the bottom. This would expose more yeast to the beer and provide for quicker maturation. I don't think it directly impacts clarity other than since the yeast can clean up the beer faster, it will settle out faster.

I swear last week while reading in the toilet either the most recent Northern Brewer Catalog or a back issue of BYo, that you could actually order beechwood chips.

I swear last week while reading in the toilet either the most recent Northern Brewer Catalog or a back issue of BYo, that you could actually order beechwood chips.
Wouldn't be surprised. In my little bit of reading on it, the original company that supplied the Beechwood chips was operating at almost full capacity just to keep up with AB's demand. They feared that any equipment failure/etc would leave AB without their Beechwood chips. So they recommended a second supplier for the chips to ensure AB would always have them. Now years later, AB is cutting back to just one supplier and they're using the second supplier. So it appears the orig supplier screwed themselves by recommending the second supplier years ago. Maybe that's where all the available chips are coming from. These 'chips' are like 3 feet long.

Thanks for the link Poobah but that looks like scraps from cutting the strips AB actually uses (just a guess). I can't remember where I read it but the ones AB uses are ~3' long. That way they stack up to form a lattice inside the tank. Those smoking chips look like they would just make a pile in the bottom but that's all those ceramic tubes would do anyway.

I was considering using the ceramic tubes and stainless steel wire and making semi-rigid necklace-like things that would stand inside the corny. They would be bendable enough to get into a pot so I could boil them.

I've been thinking of using some glass marbles for something similar. No idea how well they would work but they would be easy to clean and sanitize by boiling.

I was actually thinking of this for use in a hopback. Especially on beers that I don't want to add extra hop aroma but want something to help filter trub before hitting the chiller

Oops, I got some info wrong. The 'chips' are only 18" long, not 36".

Bokonon,
I thought about marbles too but I figured those ceramic tubes would have way more surface area, especially considering the amount of beer they displace. IIRC, a sphere has the minimum amount of surface area per unit of displaced volume of any shape. Plus marbles are smooth and the ceramic tubes are not which just means more surface area per unit of diplaced volume with the tubes.

Back