Faucet cap popping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohoe

Reaction score
I've searched the forums but I haven't found this specific problem...

The black faucet caps keep popping off. There isn't any beer leaking out but I *might* have a CO2 leak as my tank ran out very fast. I've heard if the faucets leak, there would be beer dripping not just CO2 (I'm using Perlick faucets).

Anyone experience this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I run into this occasionally. This is caused by a seal being created and nowhere for the pressure to go.

Eventually the seal breaks and the cover pops off.

I've had luck with squeezing the cap as you put it on or after it's on.

However, the poltergeist is a much more likely scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wait a few more minutes before you put the cap on. Try that.

I've searched the forums but I haven't found this specific problem...

The black faucet caps keep popping off. There isn't any beer leaking out but I *might* have a CO2 leak as my tank ran out very fast. I've heard if the faucets leak, there would be beer dripping not just CO2 (I'm using Perlick faucets).

Anyone experience this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hey I have been experiencing the same problem....do you think its something paranormal???

I had the same problem before I realized that I drink often enough my taps dont stick. I also do not have a fruit fly infestation so I just stopped using them. Pinching the tip while putting them on seems to have worked pretty well though.

Do you also laugh when friends try to pull a beer and forget to take the caps off first? Used to crack me up every time.

I couldn't expand on my reply before. Here's my take. When you pour a beer, the entire faucet gets cold and there is a trace amount of carbonated beer left in the faucet spout. If you cap it immediately after you pour, you are capping in cold air and a trace amount of carbed beer. As the air inside the capped spout warms up and the CO2 comes out of the beer, pressure is created and the cap pops off. My caps only pop off when I put them on immediately after pouring. If I wait a minute or so, they never fly off.

I had the same problem before I realized that I drink often enough my taps dont stick. I also do not have a fruit fly infestation so I just stopped using them. Pinching the tip while putting them on seems to have worked pretty well though.

Do you also laugh when friends try to pull a beer and forget to take the caps off first? Used to crack me up every time.

You'll double think your decision not to use them as soon as you pour a beer and an earwig is swimming around in your glass.

Fortunately for me the beer I was pouring was a light color, so I saw him fly into the glass, but if the beer had been a stout...I would have had a really disgusting surprise waiting for me.

Back