Fat tire in a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Fat Tire in a can, it means more beer in my cooler on the boat! Bottles take up a lot of space and don't smash nice and flat to carry from the dock back up to the camper.

Not to mention this got them in at Victory Field. Only problem is now they have to contend with that goofy Indiana 20,000 barrel law where they pay double taxes if they go over that number :mad:

Didn't they just upgrade to a 30k barrel capacity a month or so ago? I haven't tried SunKing in a can, but I often stop in a on Friday to grab a couple of $5 growler fills.

I hate cans! They are messy to contend with even if you rinse them out they still leak and drip stuff into the recycling bin/bag making it a PITA to contend with and in most cases sticky/slimy and stinky.

Then there is the A-holes that say "save them and cash them in"...YA no @#$& thanks. The same leaky stinking cans leak into the trunk/truck and now have caused stains and smells were there was none before. All for $5...Not even worth the gas to take them to the recycle facility...

The above only gets worse with a "can crusher"...

Can not see inside them...Bees and wasps...ever see someone get stung on the inside of the mouth? I have, not fun. In the summer if I stop watching my canned beverage for more than a second, I pour some out...good habit...IMO. This does not even count the nasty cigarette butt in the 1/2 full can that you got to drink...

Then, I hear about all the "cost savings" and how it will be cheaper for the consumer...a savings of under $1.00 a 24 pack...wow what incredible savings...I may just be able to retire now...

I hear it all the time "cans are better". Then why does Mountain Dew taste so much better from a glass bottle??? If you have never done a side by side there is no comparing the two. I am not saying cans taste bad, just different.

This does not even cover purely snobbish reasons like I do not want to be associated with the BMC crowd. (So this one was a little lame, sue me.)

So, what good are cans to me??? I can go tubing or on a beach with them...I think I would rather take my reusable Miller/Coors Home Draft system and have what I want on tap...

The only single benefit I can see of a can doing better than a bottle is protection against light striking/skunking the beverage. ;) but that is a double edged sword.

Dude, you are hilarious. :mug:

I am sure there are some fantastic beers that come in cans. I would order a can in a restaurant/bar and drink one if that was the best possible selection or if someone gave it to me. (I tried Old Chubb that way, good beer IMO.) I actually try to not buy canned beer to bring home or take camping/to a party for example, for the reasons previously posted.

:off:

Dude, you are hilarious. :mug:
You are most welcome... :)

If you found Mountain Dew in a glass bottle it game from West Jefferson Dr. Pepper or Mexico and is made with cane sugar, it's not the same stuff you get in a can these days.

It did come from West Jefferson but it has no throwback markings and is labeled like a standard mtn Dew...This would lead me to believe it was not the cane sugar variety but I am done discussing that statement and semi hijacking this thread...even if it tastes identical it still does not change my outlook on cans, sorry. :(

It did come from West Jefferson but it has no throwback markings and is labeled like a standard mtn Dew...This would lead me to believe it was not the cane sugar variety but I am done discussing that statement and semi hijacking this thread...even if it tastes identical it still does not change my outlook on cans, sorry. :(

West Jefferson has never had Throwback markings and never switched to HFCS...

West Jefferson is the home of soda manufacturers West Jefferson Dr Pepper (WJDP). The company is known for producing all their non-diet products with cane sugar, most of which are Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages (formerly Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc.) products but also include Mountain Dew. WJDP is one of only two non-Pepsi franchises existing in the United States that is allowed to produce Mountain Dew.

The company does not ship outside its contracted territory, however several Web sites sell the product at a premium price. The premium price has been justified by the fact that WJDP is one of the last bottlers in the U.S. to use cane sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Jefferson,_North_Carolina

As a craft beer lover, I'm a fan of the move to cans. The beer lasts longer and you can take it many places that bottles cannot go.

As a homebrewer, the more brewers that switch to cans, the fewer bottles are available for us to put our stuff in....

I have no problem with cans. It reminds me of the debate about using screw tops for wine. It was proven they are just as good but a lotnof people have a hard time believing this.

My only problem is If I buy beer I want to have the bottles to put homebrew in.

i think they were saying that if the can was from west jefferson, then it would be with cane sugar and not HFCS regardless of the markings. not that if you had one that was in a glass bottle it could only have come from there

I was unaware that other bottlers in the US did glass. I'm close enough to West Jefferson that I can find it if I look hard enough and have never seen it anywhere else. If it's available from other bottlers, then yeah, it would be regular Mountain Dew. However, the guy making the assertation that bottled Dew tastes better than canned said his came from West Jefferson, so it's made with cane sugar and that's the difference he is tasting.

Didn't they just upgrade to a 30k barrel capacity a month or so ago? I haven't tried SunKing in a can, but I often stop in a on Friday to grab a couple of $5 growler fills.

Here's more info on what I'm talking about: http://draftmag.com/beereditor/whats-the-problem-with-indiana/

I just heard about it recently and I took notice when I read in a Midwestern Brewing journal that 3Floyds is considering moving to Illinois because of the extra fee they have to pay if they go above 20K barrels. I just looked up the law myself and it looks like the fee is $500 annually if the brewery does less than 20k barrels and $2000 beyond 20k. Seems like a small price to pay, I would think and not really worth shutting down your pub or your taproom over. Maybe i'm missing something?

http://www.IN.gov/legislative/ic/code/title7.1/ar4/ch4.1.html

Scruffy1207 said:
Yeah, I used to love the stuff, now I steer away

The last 6 pack I bought had an awful metallic taste to it that reminded me of just about every Sam Adams I've had

Scruffy1207 said:
Yeah, I used to love the stuff, now I steer away

The last 6 pack I bought had an awful metallic taste to it that reminded me of just about every Sam Adams I've had

i didn't get that last time i had one. it was pretty good i thought, i'll have to try again, maybe i'll notice it now that it has been suggested.

honestly, I wish I could get more craft in cans here. Fat tire is pretty much my only easy to get option. Works great for heading to the lake or beach etc....

Was at the store today and saw this. When I started drinking Fat Tire It was tasty now it is/has been reduced to cans. Can't even drink them for the bottles anymore. It is a sad day.

Aw c'mon man! Are we supposed to drink BMC while fishing, hanging out at the beach, or lounging at the pool in Vegas? Thankfully not :)

I forgot to even mention one of the major reasons behind going to cans - they are much better for the environment, as they take less energy to recycle than glass, and a lot higher percentage of cans end up being recycled as opposed to glass. Cans are also a lot lighter for shipping, so it takes less fuel to ship them.

Back