FastFerment - Funny Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASpeedyGTO

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for reading my post. I picked up a new FastFerment plastic conical fermenter recently just to give it a shot to see how I liked it. I've brewed two 5G batches so far and both have exhibited the same odd fermentation and the off flavor of each are the same.

For both, fermentation started and completed about 36 hours after I had pitched the yeast (I checked the gravity with my refractometer). I've never had fermentation complete this quickly. During this time, there was no airlock activity, but I know that isn't always a good indicator of anything. I let both sit for about 10 days before emptying the yeast collection ball and sitting again for secondary, but both batches have a green apple flavor (to me). One batch used Nottingham (dry...made a starter) and the other used Wyeast British Ale II (did not make a starter). Fermented in my basement which is about 66 degrees F.

The only thing that I have changed is the fermentation vessel (obviously), and I used a SS aeration wand & stone with an O2 canister that I picked up from Lowe's, since I can't shake it like my glass carboys. I researched the green apple flavor and sources say that the yeast should reabsorb that compound, but evidently it didn't or there is too much of it?

Any ideas or has anyone run into this before? :confused::confused::confused:

When you pitch a good amout of healty yeast, in a moderate strenght wort,the fermentation can be very fast.

It does not hurt to let it sit for a day or two extra, or even more if you want it t clear up a bit and let the yeast drop.

For the last year, I dont think I have had any ale that took longer than 4 days to ferment out completly. This is quite normal.

But, if you pitch a low amout of yest, or not very healty yeast, or use cold temperature, or have a strong beer, it can take longer

Looks like you used high flocing yeast in both brews. Maybe the shape of fermenter/collection ball in addition to the higher flocing yeast prevented the yeast from staying in suspension long enough to clean up the acetaldehyde.

Are you sure of your fermentation temperature? British yeast strains fermented at too high a temperature--even just a degree or two--will throw green apple-y esters.

Looks like you used high flocing yeast in both brews. Maybe the shape of fermenter/collection ball in addition to the higher flocing yeast prevented the yeast from staying in suspension long enough to clean up the acetaldehyde.

Hi....thank you for replying. One thing I am suspecting is that with the FastFerment, I only have a surface area of about 3" that is exposed to the wort whereas with a glass carboy, it is much wider. and there is a much larger surface area exposed to absorb compounds. All of the yeast with the FastFerment falls down into the collection ball and I wonder if the bulk of it is unable to reabsorb the compounds that are created during fermentation. Makes sense?

Are you sure of your fermentation temperature? British yeast strains fermented at too high a temperature--even just a degree or two--will throw green apple-y esters.

Hi and thank you for replying. I'm pretty sure of my fermentation temps. Knowing that fermentation is exothermic, I'm pretty sure that it never got above 70 degrees at it's prime. At least, that's what I'm assuming. When it comes to it, I'm trying to relax and have a homebrew :) this shouldn't be this difficult! I'm just trying to figure out what went so different with this fermentation vessel.....from what I can read online, I don't think others have had this problem.

Hi. Did you find a solution to this problem? I have tested the fastferment at a friend and at my place, we both had Apple tasting beer (All grain, brew in a bag IPA).
I did not have this issue initially when fermenting in carboys etc.
Thanks. Fred.

Hey Fred , welcome to HBT forum! This is an old thread . Check out this link . It has good info on off flavors and how to fix it. As the fastferment, it's just coincidence. Theres nothing different the fermenting in the fastferment, plastic carboy, glass carboy ect... Acetadelhyde seems to be your issue . As long as your fermenter is clean and sanitized it shouldn't be an issue. Just have to be careful with plastic as to not scratch it. I started on the fastferment then carboys and now Cf5 . I've brewed great beer in all of them.

Hey Fred , welcome to HBT forum! This is an old thread . Check out this link . It has good info on off flavors and how to fix it. As the fastferment, it's just coincidence. Theres nothing different the fermenting in the fastferment, plastic carboy, glass carboy ect... Acetadelhyde seems to be your issue . As long as your fermenter is clean and sanitized it shouldn't be an issue. Just have to be careful with plastic as to not scratch it. I started on the fastferment then carboys and now Cf5 . I've brewed great beer in all of them.

Thank you Jag. I will keep going then but paying more attention to material cleaning/sanitizing (which I thought I did carefully).

Could you paste again the link. It did not show in your post. Thanks. May be I read it already as I went through so many posts on possible issues before asking here.

Cheers.

Back