Fastferment 3G

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
Stupid question, Once the trub has been cleared out and yeast starts to collect in the mason jar, is it now ineffective? Should I clear it regularly, or leave it till bottling time? The neck of the conical is only 1"

Just leave it.

Each time you remove and then replace it you introduce o2 from the collection jar as it refills.

If the neck starts to fill it might be beneficial to clean the collector so that the contents of the neck do not compact and cause a blockage when it comes time to bottle.

Another question. This stuff is used in open wine bottles. Can it be used with beer? Guess it just displaces the air. Even clearing trub once would than add O2.

The can says it contains a "custom blend of pure nitrogen (N2), carbon dioxide (CO2) and argon (AR)"

81ljCnuYEnL._SL1500_.jpg

I just found out there is a 3 gallon FF, and it's only $50. That's tempting... Is it any good? I'd probably use it for wine or cider rather than beer.

A 4 oz mason jar collection ball is ridiculously small, but there's room for a pint jar, right? Or don't use a collection ball; put a bowl underneath to catch the trub/lees and you don't have to worry about air bubbling up.

I use a pint jar, but the stand it comes with is not tall enough for the jar to clear the grounf, so you have to set the legs on a 2x4 or something.

All in all, FF are better than buckets or carboys to me, but a few design changes are needed

Like a wider neck and mason jar fittings for the larger FF. Also the valve mechanism is finicky. Sometimes the internals will unscrew and cause a disaster. And they require you to own stock in PTFE tape

Latest posts

Back