Fast chilling a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
so I don’t have a kegorator. I just order some coolbrewing jackets for my corner kegs for our camping trips this summer. I am taking 2 kegs and want to chill them in the freezer before I leave so I only have to maintain temp not bring it down. Anyone have an idea how many hours in a chest freezer before the beer would actually freeZe?
Obviously I want it close but not frozen.

Do you know the freezer ambient temperature? A big ice bath could also get you there without the freezing risk.

Do you know the freezer ambient temperature? A big ice bath could also get you there without the freezing risk.
And will get you colder faster. Water is more efficient than air for temp transfer.

I have always thought about using dry ice, but have not moved beyond the concept stage.

Freezer is 0 Degrees F. I am trying to avoid ice so it doesn’t melt all over the camper and I don’t have to deal with it. I have a spot in my freezer to drop 2 kegs in. Just wondering how long? Like drop it before work and take it out after or drop it night before?

My mistake, I thought you were looking to pre-chill before the camp. I usually lay my corny on its side in an icechest with a 20lb bag of ice on top. Usually good in 1 day. H2o bath uf im in a hurry.

Without a temperature control on the freezer, i would not go more than 6hrs, then check every 2hrs. Pull it when it start to feel sloshy. I recall someone on here ruining a keg when it froze in his garage and ice expansion warped the keg.

You know that’s a good idea. I will have to see if I have a cooler big enough to lay it down then just put it in there in the morning. I don’t think I have one wide enough but I like that idea for transporting

Back