False bottom gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renegade

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, I bought a 12" false bottom from amazon a couple of weeks ago, and just got my valving in yesterday from bargainfittings.com.

The False bottom did not come with any o-rings, so I sized them up and ordered a couple from bargainfittings.com with my valve setup.

the threaded section from the false bottom fitting isn't long enough to fit both o-rings on it.

I am thinking I should put the o-ring on the lower side of the false bottom to help keep a siphon when draining.

Is this what most people do, or do people run the fitting without any o-rings?

Here is a picture of all of my nice new parts-

XbqveRm.jpg

What I am concerned about is when the the water level gets low, not having a tight connection which could break the siphon, leaving more wort behind, thus adding to my deadspace.

Maybe I am thinking too much into it and should RDWHAHB

You are WAY overthinking this. Ditch the orings and go. Like bobby said, you can't have a "leak" here. And you can't break a siphon there either.

Got it all together after work tonight

Had to take it apart once due to a leak, moved gaskets around and got it all sealed up.
Pretty Standard MLT build

10 gallon Igloo Cooler (Made in USA)
12" false bottom
1/2" stainless valving

ended up with just shy of 1 qt. of deadspace

G5Z89WB.jpg

EY0Kb57.jpg

After a couple uses I ditched the hose clamps. I found they weren't needed, and makes tear down for clean up a lot quicker.

Back