False Bottom for Bayou Classic 82 QT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brew buddy and I are building a three vessel E-HERMS system using these 82qt Bayou Classic SS kettles and will be brewing mostly 10 g batches, maybe a few 15 g lighter beers. The wort will be constantly recirculated during the mash using a pump.

Which of these two options for the false bottom would you go with? or is there a better option out there?

This one from AIH is custom built for this exact pot, but with shipping would be $150. It would cover the entire bottom of the kettle, but has more dead space below it. We would also have to mount a pick up tube below this false bottom along with the weld less fitting to connect the ball valve (added cost). Currently this is the option we are leaning toward.

This one from Spike Brewing is a bit cheaper, $55 + shipping. it only covers a portion of the kettle bottom, but would have less dead space below it and has a dip tube installed so we would only have to purchase the weld less fitting. The slightly lower price on this one caught my eye, but i am concerned it may not work as well as the other option.

Money is a factor, but is not the deciding factor in this. The goal is to get to a highly repeatable process so that we can dial in recipes. Basically if the larger kettle specific one is a better option we will go with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to your local restaurant supply store and get an aluminum pizza pan, the kind with a million small holes in it. They are used as false bottoms all the time. Less than $20.00.

Back