False bottom clog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coderre7

Reaction score
Anyone have any good advice on techniques to add and stir the grains when mashing in? I know that if the clog gremlins want to deep six a brew day that they shall, but any ideas on reducing the chances of a jam ? Thanks all.

Rice hulls.

When I started brewing all grain, I never used them. After having a bad stuck mash, I now use them every time.

Beernik said:
Rice hulls.

When I started brewing all grain, I never used them. After having a bad stuck mash, I now use them every time.

Terrific and thanks. Do you put them in first, mix them into the grain bill, or what?

You should only need rice hulls if you are using a high percentage of wheat or oats or the like. Or if you are crushing to finely. Or if you are mashing to thick.

I used to have more than my share of stuck sparges with a false bottom even with a grist that had no wheat or flaked grains. I got some plans for a copper manifold from this site and it's a whole new world. No stuck sparges ever, regarless of grain bill and I never use rice hulls.. Been using it for 2 years now and will never look back.

My igloo cooler has a false bottom in it. I stir the grains with the valve facing me. I stir in a back and forth motion(half moon) trying not to hit any of the plumbing to the valve. This works well to break up dough balls and eliminates grains in my spout. Only twice with very rigorous mixing have I had a stuck sparge. Since then I learned this technique. Hope it helps.

As far as quantity goes, I'd put a thin layer of hulls across the false bottom. And at ~ $2 - $3 per pound, it's pretty cheap insurance against having a stuck mash whether you are or are not using wheat, oats, rye, or anything else that might get gummy or doughy in the mash.

Back