Falcon Punch Red ye PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
I started off wanting to brew a clone of the Founders Red Rye PA based off information in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/founders-reds-rye-ipa-clone-151489/

Any critiques or comments are certainly welcome, brew day was probably my smoothest to-date, and I am hoping that translates into results. Anyways, here is what happened.

When it came time to buy the hops, Amarillo was the priciest, and it was really driving up the total cost for the batch. I also noticed the Falconers Flight were on sale, and I had wanted to try them in something anyway... So I ended up with this, subbing in Falconers Flight for all Amarillo hops in the boil. I intended to use Aromatic Malt, but forgot it in my order I guess.:tank:

-9 lbs Briess Pale Ale Malt (delivered crushed from Midwest Brewing)
-2 lbs Rye Malt
-1.5 lbs Carapils
-12 oz Cara 80
-8 oz Cara 40
-4 oz Aromatic Malt (didn’t have, just brewed without it)

-0.5oz Perle Hops (60 mins)
-2.5oz Falconers Flight Hops (30 Minutes)
-1.0oz Falconers Flight Hops (15 Minutes)
-1.5oz Falconers Flight Hops (0 Minutes - flameout)
-3.0oz Amarillo Hops (Dry Hop 5-7 days)

-1 Whirlfloc Tabs (5 Minutes) (didn’t bother to cut in half)
-1 Mason Jar of washed S-05 yeast from 1/25. No starter, shook briefly, set aside to warm up at start of brew day.

Mashed at 154*, was 152* after an hour. OG is 1.062. It has bubbles in the airlock 18 hours from pitching, and the temp on the stuck-on thermometer is 64-65*.:mug:

I'd drop the carapils and replace it with more pale malt- you have plenty of crystal for head and body in there. Otherwise looks tasty!

Latest posts

Back