Extremely low gravity on a BIAB wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vogtenstein222

Reaction score
I posted this in a sticky but I'm trying to figure out what's up. Please help.

I just did a BIAB wheat batch today. The OG should have been about 1.056 (high end for the style). at 69*F, I got 1.016. I used absolutely no extract of any kind and followed my brew sheet to a tee. I am wondering if over...or under-crushing the grains could have led to any issues.
My grain bill was-
6 lbs - red wheat malt
4 lbs - 2 row
1.25 lbs - cara-pils

Mashed in at 150* (5 G water) and held at 153* (per Palmer - HTB) for 75 minutes (per brew sheet), mashed out, no sparge, added 1.25 G water (brew sheet called for a pre-boil volume of 6.48 G) and ramped to boil.

dying to figure out what the deal is, what I should expect.
Thanks in advance...

Out of curiosity is there any reason you added top off water instead of sparging?

Unless your grains were barely crushed at all I would guess that it is a false hydrometer reading due to insufficient mixing of the top off water. Mashing at 153 for 75 minutes, even without sparge, should get you a pretty good conversion.

Agreed, unless the grain was essentially uncrushed there must be something else going on. Being way off on mash temp might do it, is your thermometer calibrated? If you topped off into the kettle and measured after the boil was completed I wouldn't expect a mixing issue. Sounds like you cooled the sample to measure OG so that's not it. I can't imagine your hydrometer being that far off but you should still check it in water.

Have you brewed other all grain batches? Might help if you spell out every step of your process in detail.

Ive done one other BIAB/no extract. It came out wonderful. I also had assistance setting the grain mill (at LHBS). This time I set it myself (at home). All I can imagine is I didn't crush well enough and basically attempted to mash whole malted grains....

Back