Extract with brewing salts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Our brew club is doing experimental smash brews using DME and different hops to learn about different hops flavors, aromas, etc. I haven't brewed with extract in several years and never used salts when i did. When i started AG, i switched to RO water and salts. So my question is do I use brewing salts when using extract and RO water?

i would think no salts, just plain old RO water. the mineral profile was set when the manufacturer of the LME produced it.

Not that you should do this for your current SMaSH experiment, as you are trying to keep everything the same, except the hops, a little sulphate helps in the perception of hoppiness.

Typically you can accomplish this by boosting the sulphate level in your RO water with some CaSO4 (gypsum), and nothing else. IIRC the SO4-- limit is around 200 ppm before it becomes noticable.

The problem with using DME (or LME) is it has an unknown mineral content of its own. So unless you can get the analysis you may make things worse rather than better.

I've still got a bunch of those one use Burton Water salts packets I've never used. I've been hesitant after reading threads like this. Wanna brew my Burton ale as a partial mash next time. Not sure if I should use the salts or not? I've been using local spring water for my PB/PM BIAB beers & adding the extract at flame out. No salts.

I've still got a bunch of those one use Burton Water salts packets I've never used. I've been hesitant after reading threads like this. Wanna brew my Burton ale as a partial mash next time. Not sure if I should use the salts or not? I've been using local spring water for my PB/PM BIAB beers & adding the extract at flame out. No salts.

The problem with those Burton Salt packs, is... you don't know whats in there, and you don't know what their assuming your water is.

I'd have to look again,but they do say what it is. Just can't remember where I read it. On midwest site or another I have saved.

Most don't. They don't tell you the quantities of what each thing is in there. Even so, its pre mixed and not what you'd need exactly measured out for your water. Those packs are a bit of a stretch in terms of burtonizing ones water I think.

Well,they're taylored for 5 gallons. And I brew with local spring water that has worked pretty well so far. Even with partial mash. Gives a great definition of the grains flavors. Maybe something that would heighten the hop flavors a lil more. It's pretty good now,but some hops that are more subtle could use a lil help. I might try the Burton salts with the local spring water,or maybe disstilled.
Here's a link to brewer's Lair that explains it; http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php?p=brewhouse&d=additives&id=&v=&term=4 I'm thinking of trying it in my PM version of the Burton ale I brewed a while back.
Here's a link to the page from midwest; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/burton-water-salts.html
And from Northern Brewer; http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/burton-water-salts.html
Guess I should've listed them earlier. Been a busy week mentally & physically.

Back