Extract porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mChavez

Reaction score
Hi!

I am building up my to-do list and I'd like to brew a porter, however, the recipe database does not show which recipes are AG and which are extract.

I've got the equipment to brew extract, partial mash or a BIAB AG, but due to lack of experience I'd like to stick to extract/partial mash for now.

I like strong, heavy porters that almost make you cry while you're drinking them!

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I made this kit for my second batch of beer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/rebel-rye-porter-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

I'm currently in the process of drinking it, and it's delicious. However, if you aren't a fan of whiskey, you might want to cut down on the amount you add to secondary or just leave it out altogether. I went with 14oz of Bulleit Rye whiskey - the first bottles I tasted after ~2 weeks of carbing had a very strong whiskey flavor. It's definitely mellowed out over time though; the bottles I'm drinking now have been conditioning for 3-4 weeks and the whiskey flavor has gotten a lot more subtle. Here's the recipe:

0.75 lbs English Medium Crystal
0.5 lbs English Black Malt

2 lbs Amber DME
6 lbs Rye LME

1 oz Nugget (60 min)
1 oz US Fuggle (30 min)
1.5 oz Cascade (5 min)

2 oz US Medium Plus Oak Cubes (add to secondary 7-10 days before bottlin)
16 oz rye whiskey (add to secondary 7-10 days before bottling)

I used a pack of Safale S-04 yeast. If you want to use liquid, the recipe recommends Wyeast 1028 London Ale. It's definitely the best batch of beer I've made so far! Small sample size though...

Thanks!
What AA are the hops? IF might be hard to get the ones you listed in LHBS.

Hi!

I am building up my to-do list and I'd like to brew a porter, however, the recipe database does not show which recipes are AG and which are extract.

I've got the equipment to brew extract, partial mash or a BIAB AG, but due to lack of experience I'd like to stick to extract/partial mash for now.

I like strong, heavy porters that almost make you cry while you're drinking them!

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

You can convert any recipe to extract with steeping grains, and we can help you do that easily. You can use an AG recipe and just use extract for the base malt in the amount of 1 pound base malt = .75 pounds pale LME = .6 pounds DME, and the specialty grains remain the same.

Thanks!
What AA are the hops? IF might be hard to get the ones you listed in LHBS.

These are based off the product descriptions on the Northern Brewer website:

1 oz Nugget (60 min) 9%-11% AA
1 oz US Fuggle (30 min) 4.5%-5% AA
1.5 oz Cascade (5 min) 4.5%-7% AA

Here's a partial mash porter recipe that I brewed last fall. It turned out absolutely delicious. I will definitely be brewing it again this coming fall, and I might add some vanilla beans.

Anyway, here's the deets:

3 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. Amber malt
10 oz. Chocolate malt
6 lb. Maris Otter LME

1 oz. UK Phoenix - 10% AA - 60 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 5% AA - 12 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 5% AA - 2 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 5% AA - dry-hop for 7 days

OG 1.060
FG 1.016
ABV 5.8%

mashed at 154 F with BIAB method
pitched Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast - I think I did a 1L starter

I would probably cut out the dry-hop the next time around, as it didn't seem to add much. You could definitely make it darker if you wanted to, but this came out right in the middle of the range for a Robust Porter. I might just add a couple more ounces of Chocolate and maybe a little bit of some lighter crystal malt for a little sweetness to accentuate the vanilla I plan to add to secondary the next time I brew this. I might also up the base grain in the mash and leave the LME at 6lbs. to aim for around 6.5% ABV or so.

Back