Extract Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn1221

Reaction score
I want to make a hefeweizen and I'm still pretty new to brewing. I have made 4 extract beers so far using kits, and this time I would like to try my hand without a kit and purchasing individual ingredients myself. I have put together a simple recipe: Let me know how it looks and if I should make any changes. I am debating adding fruit/juice or extract to flavor this beer, but haven't decided.

6 lbs wheat DME. (3 lbs added with 5 minutes remaining in boil)
60minutes 1 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker
5 minutes .25oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker
White labs Bavarian Weizen Yeast WLP351.

I will add DME to 3 gallons water and top off to make 5 gallons wort in fermenter.

Please tell me if this will work or any changes to make this better. Also I'm looking for another good summer type beer to make. I have a batch of NB Cream Ale bottled already.

Thanks much :D

I make a Bavarian Hefeweizen that's similar to this. I assumed alpha acid of 3.8% and got 12 IBU's and BU:GU ratio of 0.24 for your recipe. That looks about right. You can use a dry yeast to simplify things - I like the results when I use Danstar Munich Wheat yeast.

Cool thanks. What temp and for how long should I ferment? I'm assuming no need to secondary unless I add fruit?

Cool thanks. What temp and for how long should I ferment? I'm assuming no need to secondary unless I add fruit?

I guess the temperature would depend on which yeast you're using. I use Danstar Munich and have tried temperatures from 63 to 68 - anywhere in that range has worked well for me. After active fermentation is finished, I let the temperature rise up to about 72. Generally give it two weeks in primary - check SG after 12 days, and again in another two days to be sure fermentation has stopped. I tried shorter fermentation times in the past, but a few times it wasn't finished.

I haven't tried secondary, but it seems like it would clear the beer some - I like hefeweizen cloudy. Might be better to stay away from fruit on the first batch or so.

I start putting bottles in the fridge after 10 days of conditioning for a hefe - drink after two days in the fridge.

Extract hefeweizens are very quick and easy. WLP300 works best around 68-72*. If I remember correctly, the clove flavors tend to develop more at the lower end of that range, while the banana esters come out at the high end. Someone correct me if I have that reversed. Every time I've made a wheat beer, they have taken off very promptly and aggressively, and fermented out in 2-3 weeks.

inflictor-of-grimness said:
Looks good to me.
I recommend the Weihenstephan yeast from Wyeast. I made an extract hefeweizen that turned out great using that.

I went with Danstar Munich so hopefully turns out great as well. Air lock bubbling after 15 hours or so. Can't wait!

You might consider a blow off for the first few days. My last heffe filled the airlock within 24 hours!

SDJay said:
You might consider a blow off for the first few days. My last heffe filled the airlock within 24 hours!

Realize this as well. Airlock clogging up but I do not have blow off tube. Any advice ???

Looks good to me.
I recommend the Weihenstephan yeast from Wyeast. I made an extract hefeweizen that turned out great using that.

+1 on the Weihenstephan strain. This is a style where the liquid yeast really makes a big difference. I've used WB-06, Danstar Munich, and Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstaphan). 3068 produced the best brew, by far. Ferment in the low 60's and your beer will be amazing.

On a side note, hefe-weizens are probably one of the easiest beers to brew successfully with extract.

ncbrewer said:
I hope you'll post the results on this thread when you taste it - would like to know how it turns out.

Will def update once I get a taste. Thanks

I second the votes for 3068. Makes a fine hefe, but it can be a monster! I have NB's hefe on tap right now. Even though I do all grain, it's a quick, easy, and tasty beer!

Bottled the beer on Sunday. Tastes good. A little dark in color and slightly sweet, but I think that will mellow out. Seems to have the perfect clove/spice flavor from the yeast. I'm thinking this will be good :D

I second the votes for 3068. Makes a fine hefe, but it can be a monster! I have NB's hefe on tap right now. Even though I do all grain, it's a quick, easy, and tasty beer!

I've brewed my hefe recipe both with extract, and with a mash. I couldn't taste a difference either way. So for me there's no reason to go through the time and trouble (wheat is a PITA to work with) of doing a mash for a hefe.

The yeast is the star of this style.

Brewed this a few weeks ago. I used wlp320 and added the zest of 3 oranges. It has a little more banana than I would like but it turned out BOMB! Thanks for the recipe!

drudown69 said:
Spoooon what temp did you ferment at?

I had it at 64, I know that's a little on the cold side but it was either that or room temp which was about 80. I let it ferment for 17 days in case it was slowed due to the low temp.

Back