Extract brews for these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
I picked up a pound each of these dried whole hops from a local organic farm.

I'd like to do some all local/organic brews so here is what I have. The cascade is pretty versatile (if over-used), but not sure quite what to do with the others?

Newport : 8.4 alpha / 6.5 beta
Pride of Ringwood: 5.6 alpha / 6.8 beta
Brewer's gold: 7.0 alpha / 5.4 beta
Cascade 3.6 alpha / 6.4 beta

Maybe an IPA with Newport for bittering and Cascade flavor/aroma?
A stout with the brewer's gold? I'm open to any styles I can make with extract+specialty grain that would be a good fit for the hops.

I haven't heard great things about Pride of Ringwood.

Here's a base recipe that I think works well with most hop combos:

7.25 lbs Pale LME OR 6 lbs Pale DME
12 oz Crystal 15 (steep)
9 oz Victory Malt (steep)
5 oz Crystal 60 (steep)

Do your typical steeping process for extract brewing. Then consider this hop schedule:

.75 oz Newport @ 60 min
.50 oz Newport @ 25 min
.50 oz Pride of Ringwood @ 10 min
.50 oz Pride of Ringwood @ 2 min

For subsequent brews, just swap the PoR for Brewer's Gold or Cascade to emphasize the aroma characteristics of those hops.

Use a clean US-style yeast- I prefer WLP090, though the standard Chico strain works great too (WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Safale US-05)

Here are some general specs to expect:

OG 1.049
FG 1.010
ABV 5.2%
IBU 38
SRM 10

The nice thing about this malt bill is you can play with the hops any way you like, just try to keep the IBU from the first 2 additions around the same. Since the last 2 additions contribute little to bitterness, I recommend keeping those right around .5 oz a piece. I've brewed this recipe with English and American hops, both consistently come out delicious.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

You could get a great pale ale with nothing but PoR,a la Coopers. PoR is a very under rated hop!

Back