Extract - Beardo's Oak-aged Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardo21

Reaction score
3.3 lb Light LME
3 lb Extra Dark DME
0.5 lb Maltodextrin
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb. Dark Chocolate
1 lb. 2-row Pale
8 oz. Victory
0.5 oz Galena (60 min boil)
0.5 oz Hallertau (45 min boil)
0.5 oz Fuggle (15 min boil)
White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Bring 2.5-3 gals to ~150-152 F and steep grains for 30 mins.
Remove steeped grains and bring water to boil.
Remove from heat and add maltodextrin, LME and DME. Stir until dissolved.
Bring back to boil and add hops according to schedule above. 60 min boil.
Cool to ~70 F with wort chiller and/or ice bath.
Pour into fermentor and top off with water until you have ~5 gals.
Pitch yeast and place in your favorite fermenting zone.

5-7 days in primary @ 65-70 F
2-4 weeks in secondary @ 65-70 F - I am thinking about adding oak chips into mine during this time. You can can soak them in bourbon for added flavor or just boil water and soak them for a little while. I've also heard of people just racking to them without any soaking but beware of potential contamination! 0.5 oz to 1 oz of chips is what I was shooting for. (Comments/concerns are much appreciated!)

Prime with 3/4 cup priming sugar and bottle. Age in bottle for 2-3 weeks at room temp (65-70 F).

Throw in the fridge for a couple hours. Pop. Pour. Drink. Repeat. ABV should be around 5.5-6%. Enjoy! :mug:

UPDATE: I ended up soaking my oak chips in vodka overnight before it was time to rack to the secondary. It's been in the secondary for about 11 days now and it smells beyond good. Can't wait for it to be ready. Cheers.

Update:

Bottled it up today and boy is this going to be good when it's ready. Came out at 5.5% and has an awesome toasty, smokey flavor with a hint of vanilla in there.

This turned out great. Creamy, roasty, smokey flavor with a hint of vanilla in there.

ForumRunner_20131107_170819.jpg

Latest posts

Back