Extract/acidity/crystallization help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
Hey all, two questions:

I have a boiling kettle that will only hold about 6.8 gallons of water (not including the grain). And when I make a russian imperial stout with dry malt extract, usually I put half of the extract in at the beginning of the boil - as I usually can only put in a little more than half the water required for a 5.5 gallon batch - and then half of the extract in at the end of the boil to sterilize. I have read that this is the proper way to do extract brews because if the ratio of sugar to water were too high, it would effect acidity.

Question 1: Well, what would be the actual consequences if I put in all of the extract at the beginning of the boil?

I ask because russian imperial stouts require a lot of extract, and the high amount of sugar to water ratio causes the addition towards the end of the boil to crystallize the newly added extract.

Question 2: So if I should continue to split my extract additions this way, does anyone have any tips on how to avoid crystallization?

Latest posts

Back