Extra Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
The inspiration for this was Guinness Extra Stout. After doing a search online I couldn't find any reputable source for a clone recipe, so I decided to make one of my own. This is probably not anywhere near the Guinness recipe, but it's about the same ABV and hopefully about the same bitterness. Epiphany is a craft malt house in Durham, NC.

60 minute boil, 75% Efficiency
Boil Size 6.5 Gallons
Batch Size 5.5 Gallons into fermentor,
OG 1.056
FG 1.013
ABV 5.7%
IBU 50
SRM 42

Grist:
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
7 lb Maris Otter Pale 38 3.5 63.6%
1.5 lb Flaked Barley 32 1.4 13.6%
1 lb Roasted Barley (Epiphany) 29 530 9.1%
0.25 lb Acidulated Malt 27 5 2.3%
0.75 lb Cane Sugar (10 minutes) 46 0 6.8%
0.5 lb Chocolate Rye (Epiphany) 31 140 4.5%

Full volume mash with 7 gallons of water in my BIAB set up at 153 for 60 minutes

Hops:
1 oz Northern Brewer 8.4% FWH
1 oz Northern Brewer 15 minutes

Black Dry water profile from Bru'n Water

White Labs 007 Dry English Ale, shaken not stirred starter pitched 13 hours after it was made.
Fermented at 65 degrees for 10 days.

Just bottled this two days ago, the sample I had was great. Roasty with some chocolate notes and a crisp finish. Will update when it's conditioned for a bit.

What was the purpose of the acid malt? With a pound of roast, I would have guessed you'd need to bring the pH up.

Looks good though!

The acid malt was for pH. I had to add a few different salts to my water to get my desired profile and the acid malt got it back to the pH I wanted

This beer turnout great. Aroma is dominated by roast. An assertive bitterness all the way through with a great mouthfeel. Bittersweet chocolate that complements the malt flavor. Will definitely make this one again down the line.

Jump up to 8.5 lb of MO and 2 lbs of flake. Keep the acid malt. Add 1 lb of Special B. Drop the sugar and rye.,and add 24 oz of soured Guinness Extra Stout to your first batch(Put two bottles of Guinness in a bowl, cover with foil, and let it set four to six days, then add to the boil ten minutes before the end - WORKS WONDERS) THEN keep a bottle to add to each new batch and you will be surprised how close you come to foreign export. I get 7.0 - 7.2% abv most of the time. And all the depth you are seeking. JUST MHO But then this has only worked for 20 years or so . . . Just saying. Please feel free to blast away and tell me why I am full of poop - seems to be the status quo these days. Still . . . End result looks like Foreign Extra, Tastes like Foreign extra, but will probably be construed as an amateurs folly. I am good with that! Cause the one I am swilling right now is pretty damn good and helps me forget!

I have never heard of adding soured beer to the boil, but I’d definitely be willing to try. Gives me an excuse to buy some Guinness too.

Back