Extra Pale dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a NB Extra Pale Ale kit today. Comes with 3 Oz of Cascade pellets. 2 oz at 60 minutes and 1 oz at flameout. I also picked up an ounce of whole leaf cascade for dry hopping. Never used whole leaf before. Would it be better to use the whole leaf at flameout and save one oz of pellets for dry hopping or vice versa?

I typically dry hop the last week of a 4 week primary and have had good results. No secondary.

It's really a personal preference. I like to use all whole leaf as often as possible but I have friends that use only pellets. You'll get better utilization from pellets so you could argue it's more efficient to have them in the boil. I think it's easier to transfer from the fermenter with the leaf hops there. I have done it both ways with equal results.

Everythings debatable. My preference is for pellets because of the higher utilization, and whole hops trap more beer (beer loss) than pellet form. It is easier to transfer from the fermenter with whole cone, but if you tie a nylon bag to the end of your transfer hose on your racking cane, you can easily catch all the hop particulate matter before it gets into your bottling bucket or keg

I prefer pellets for the boil & raw for dry hopping in a grain sack. one ounce of whil leaf has more volume than 1oz of pellets. But I think the whol leaf (raw) are good for dry hopping.

Back