Extensive Dry Hopping Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
I saw a hop salesman fill a beer mug with hops then pour it full of beer... calling on the potential buyer to see what his hops could do for the beer.
I did the same and found that after 30 minutes, the beer tasted the way I liked.

My question is about finding a guesstimate (rule of thumb?) to recalculate dry hopping for different extract times.

(If 1g per 30 min was good, what % of that would you try for 12 hours? 24 hours? 3 days?)

Or, What is a reasonable low dry hopping rate for low AA hops?
Looking for a light hopping effect here with landrace hops.

Generally accepted times to dry hop it 5-7 days.

Me personally, never go more then 5 at the max...I noticed vegetal flavors after that...if I can swing it i do three days dry hop, cold crash day 4, keg on day 5 and have been very happy with the results.

3~5 OK.
What is the least amount of hops you can use to actually notice an effect from in 3 days?

Does the AA have a significant impact during dry hopping ?

BTW, I threw a few pellets into a couple of bottles to see if I could get any effect...
Will the pellets eventually become waterlogged and settle down at the bottom?

I rarely dry hop but when I do I do it in the keg (in a canister hanging from the lid). I leave them in until the keg is empty, sometimes up to 2 months if I have multiple kegs on tap. Eventually the beer level is below the hops so I'm not sure exactly when there is no longer hops in contact with beer. I've never gotten vegetal off flavors. The most I've done is 2.5 oz in a 5 gallon keg.

I have dry hopped for 5-6 days in the past, but quickly gave it up.

I now dry hop for 48 hours - anything from 100 gr/3.5 oz to 300 gr/10.5 oz for 5.5 gallons final volume.

Latest posts

Back