Exploding bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigw10

Reaction score
I made some orange beer recently which was bottled two weeks ago. It was fermenting for two weeks and the final gravity was 1.010. This reading was taken three days in a row.

The issue I have is I have just opened the first bottle and have lost half of it because it has exploded as I've taken the cap off. I primed each bottle with a small half teaspoon of sugar. Having tasted what was left, it actually tastes ok. Any suggestions on saving the rest of the batch. And any ideas what has caused this?

Was the bottle chilled for at least 18 -24 hours? If not the carbonation is not totally in solution which can cause the blasting foam.

It is much better and more accurate to weigh out your total sugar and make a solution by boiling in water then adding it to your bottling bucket before filling the bottles. Northern Brewer has a priming calculator on their website.

See what happens at 25 seconds into the vid. Look familiar?

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems that even at half of a tsp would be quite much for any size batch. For a 5 gallon batch, you wouldn't want more than 3.75 oz for the entire batch.

Christ that video made me incredibly thirsty... especially the 31 day old beer that looked cold and well carbed.

Back