expired wy2112

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I made a starter monday for a smack pack of wy2112 that had been expired for a year. should I step it up or do you think there should be enough?
1/2 cup DME
2 cups water:confused:

Not sure what you are making or how many cells you need, but you are probably going to have to step it at least once. Check out any of the online calculators to see for sure. The half cup DME 2 cup water might be good enough for the first step but you are probably going to have to go bigger, again depending on what you are making and its OG and if you have a stir plate.

I'm making a smoked cal common OG 1.051. this is my first starter and i don't have a stir plate, i have been shaking it often and its pretty active.

Definitely make another starter (or two?). Get some nutrients in there. Even still, lager yeast are pretty finicky, though I have nearly no experience with the Cal lager strain.

I'd start with a small low OG starter and step it up about 3 times.

Latest posts

Back