Experimental beer gone horribly wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfukuda

Reaction score
I live in Texas on the border of Louisiana and me an my buddy's love beer and crawfish. So we figured we would put them together and see what happens. And I can tell you it's nothing good

Or lobstertini's I saw on TripleD once. Kind of a dirty martini with lobster stock & vodka or gin with a lobster claw stuck on the side. But in beer? IDK?...

I live in Texas on the border of Louisiana and me an my buddy's love beer and crawfish. So we figured we would put them together and see what happens. And I can tell you it's nothing good

As a man who lives in Texas and married a cajun woman from Louisiana, I can understand this experiment. lol.. Please provide us with more details!

At least you didn't do this classic bit:

classification: cock ale, historical, 1500s, chicken, meat Source: Chris Sutherland ([email protected]), 6/20/93
The recipe for authentic Cock Ale has finally arrived. Boy it sure is scary: COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....
Procedure:

"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel. In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

Did you boil the critters and remove them or leave them in for fermentation?
I know this is done with shellfish like oysters in stouts to get that calcinic mouthfeel.

If you boiled them for mayb 15min and removed them after the boil im surprised this didnt work out, hell theres a brewery producing a "rocky mountain oyster" stout.

My brother told me about trying a rocky mountain oyster stout. Looked at the bartender and said "this doesn't taste like balls at all!"... then he realized what he just said haha

Use the brine, not the meat. Same with oyster stout.

I could be wrong, and I've never tried it, but I thought the idea was to boil the oysters in the wort to get the calcium carbonate from the shells. I think there's a brewery in Asheville that does that (breweries really have to work for thier money in that town)

Well I basically just made some crawfish boil like I would to cook them and uses some of it in place of water when I added my extract and them went on as normal

I wonder if the amount of salt in the boil had anything to do with it?

The salt didn't seem to be the problem to me to much. I make my crawfish hotter then a chimney fire so it just completely over powered the beer then there is some other god awful flavors in there that make the whole

Maybe try and isolate the flavors you want in the craw fish boil you use? There is a ton of stuff in some of them including salt

smizak said:
Lol, maybe just do not attempt to make crawfish beer?

Crawfish and beer is awesome but maybe cutting out the middle man won't work here but I understand why OP tried it

It's annual ritual in these parts

This sounds like a nightmare. I'm not surprised that it didn't turn out.

But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

roastquake said:
I could be wrong, and I've never tried it, but I thought the idea was to boil the oysters in the wort to get the calcium carbonate from the shells. I think there's a brewery in Asheville that does that (breweries really have to work for thier money in that town)

You're right, though some only use the shells, like 21st Amendment's Marooned on Hog Island.

Beer is amazing and crawfish are good too and they team up we'll but apparently they are not meant to be put in the same bottle

I admire anyone for trying to make something like this. It takes guts and a fearless attitude.

Well I basically just made some crawfish boil like I would to cook them and uses some of it in place of water when I added my extract and them went on as normal

Until I got to this post I was going to wonder what flavor you were going for, as crawfish on their own don't taste like anything, hence the various liquid and powdered napalms we add to the boil to cook 'em. Maybe add a little Zatarains powder and/or liquid at the end of the boil, or one of those mesh spice bags? I'm sure a little would go a long way. Have had some jalapeno cream ales before that were pretty spicy that were tasty. But yeah, I can see if you added some of the evil redness of a full on boil water batch it quickly getting overpowering. I have to be careful when I'm cooking 'em not to stand directly over the water or be downwind at the wrong time as the steam alone can be enough to light you up. :mug: to you for giving it a shot though. What kind of base beer were you brewing?

Thanks. And I was using and American lager base for it. I figured that's what we all drink when eating them and I bet just a tad added at the end would probably do the trick

Zatarain's is a comercial version of what I understand y'all call essence. I like to mix mine with little or no salt,since I'm om blood pressure meds. I gotta get that book by Emeril again. It's all about LA cookin,with recipes for Essence & Jalepeno jam. Great book. Salt free essence would probably work better. I(dk if fish stock in a small amount would help any. Like that made from shrimp shells.

Back