Experieces with Mangrove Jack's M31?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I have rund some info, but it's mostly about the high attenuation. Anyone have insights into the flavor it imparts?

I'd actually rather go with the T58 from Fermentis. or the 256. I feel that all of the MJ's I've done have a bad taste to them. I did the 31 in a split with M41 (I believe?) and T58. Fermentis tastes less "fake". I think that MJ has a poor manufacturing-process, this is just my thought though based on my own experiences, but MJ yeasts is something I will never ever use again. Used a few of them, always sub-par, even the "simple" ones.

I'd actually rather go with the T58 from Fermentis. or the 256. I feel that all of the MJ's I've done have a bad taste to them. I did the 31 in a split with M41 (I believe?) and T58. Fermentis tastes less "fake". I think that MJ has a poor manufacturing-process, this is just my thought though based on my own experiences, but MJ yeasts is something I will never ever use again. Used a few of them, always sub-par, even the "simple" ones.

I know that MJ yeast also comes with far less yeast cells per gram when compared to Fermentis. And MJ yeast is by no means cheap or cheaper than Fermentis, which for me makes it undesirable, especially when none of their yeast are " special ". With Fermentis I always get very good results and know what to expect.

There is however a MJ yeast I haven't tried out yet and that is M21 which is the Witbier strain. I believe I found and read some favourable reviews from some users, but again, not that many.

I have just initated a fermentation with the M31 Belgian Tripel yeast. Simply followed the directions and sprinkled the yeast on the surface. Fermentaion was active within 12 hours. It seems to emit a highly sulpurious smell. But that is not a worry. It's good to know the yeast is very active. What may interest you all is that I am not using this to ferment beer. But a cider. I am bewcoming bored by the range of bog standard cider yeasts out there and am keen to experiment. Am only fermenting ten litres in this trial.

I have never found that. I have previously used their MO2 cider yeast and six months ago their top fermenting French Saison yeast MA29. Bothy these yeast gave me impressive results. As above I am using their M31 Belgian Tripel for a feijoa cider as I am keen to discover if it truely does offer up enhanced phenolics.

M31 worked well for me in my 9.5% belgian tripel. I fermented at the low side of its temperature range and its got banananaery flavours. I did rise it up alowly by 1c every few days to make sur it finished. I only had one pack so made a 3L starter with intermittant shaking and it was a good active fermentation. I havent used other belgian yeasts to compare yet

FYI I attach a couple of pics - using the Belgian Tripel yeast. Remembering I am fermenting a cider with an ale yeast. First is the ferment after day 2, the fruit fermenting actively before being punched and stirred. Second pic being day 6. Brix has dropped away significantly. The greater bulk of the fermentation has been completed. Time to open the spigot and rack across into another carboy. Will also need to add some tartaric to re-adjust the acid balance that has gone out of wack with the rapid fermentation.

Attachments

• 0407E2CF-8433-4BD7-BE4E-3B491DC3EAB4.jpeg
    0407E2CF-8433-4BD7-BE4E-3B491DC3EAB4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • 5D20A3A6-33F5-4AE9-A1CB-A860C86BB96F.jpeg
    5D20A3A6-33F5-4AE9-A1CB-A860C86BB96F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
This thing about mangrove jacks yeasts is interesting. They seam to state contamination etc at same levels as the other well known yeast brands so i wounder what causes prople to not like them.

They state the drying process means that the yeast is not suitable for harvesting and to buy new and if thats the case then i doubt the yeast they supply is healthey, seams more like a scare tactic to make you buy new yeast each brew.

I have used the m31 and one other yeast of theres which i have forgotten but i had no issues with either and the tastes fine.

I guess they could have inconsistant quality control if people are getting bad results.

Back