Excessive Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan21

Reaction score
There are so many posts in so many different forums about this but I've run out of things to try.

So here's my story; I have a newly built Keezer, 6" collar with 3 Perlick 630SS faucets. I have a 1/6 barrel of Lieny's SS and 2 ball locks with HB. I have my regulator set to 13psi and I am using 13 ft. 3/16" beer lines. I have my keezer set to 35* and have a fan pulling cold air from the bottom of the keezer up to the collar. I have a thermometer sitting at my shanks and the temps are holding steading at 34-35*. I've tried beer lines from 5ft - 13ft with little change. I do have 3/4 foam board all around the inside of the collar. The keezer sits in my house which stays around 73*. I thought I had this fixed with my fan contraption, it helped but didn't fix it.

The Leiny's has been foamy on the first pour from the start, my 2 HB kegs have been on gas for 7 and 4 days. The 7 day batch is now carbed enough and foaming is starting with it too, the 4 day batch is just now carbing up.
First pour is 1/2 pint of foam, 2nd is a 2" head, 3rd pour is better. This is my first Keezer and first time Kegging so maybe I'm overthinking this and this is just normal??

There are so many posts in so many different forums about this but I've run out of things to try.

So here's my story; I have a newly built Keezer, 6" collar with 3 Perlick 630SS faucets. I have a 1/6 barrel of Lieny's SS and 2 ball locks with HB. I have my regulator set to 13psi and I am using 13 ft. 3/16" beer lines. I have my keezer set to 35* and have a fan pulling cold air from the bottom of the keezer up to the collar. I have a thermometer sitting at my shanks and the temps are holding steading at 34-35*. I've tried beer lines from 5ft - 13ft with little change. I do have 3/4 foam board all around the inside of the collar. The keezer sits in my house which stays around 73*. I thought I had this fixed with my fan contraption, it helped but didn't fix it.

The Leiny's has been foamy on the first pour from the start, my 2 HB kegs have been on gas for 7 and 4 days. The 7 day batch is now carbed enough and foaming is starting with it too, the 4 day batch is just now carbing up.
First pour is 1/2 pint of foam, 2nd is a 2" head, 3rd pour is better. This is my first Keezer and first time Kegging so maybe I'm overthinking this and this is just normal??

Looks like I'm just being impatient, after letting things settle for half a day things do seem improved after increasing my beer lines to 13'

No sarcasm intended. A freshly tapped keg frequently foams.

If maybe the OP is talking about the first pour each day, then it is a problem.

The first pour or two is always foam. Just ask any bartender.

While I do see that issue at many bars, I have to disagree that the first pour or two is "always" foam. I never have this issue on my kegerator. To me the problem suggests a poorly balanced system, in terms of pressure, temperature/stratification, line length, etc.

While I do see that issue at many bars, I have to disagree that the first pour or two is "always" foam. I never have this issue on my kegerator. To me the problem suggests a poorly balanced system, in terms of pressure, temperature/stratification, line length, etc.

It was first pour every day but it seems much better with the 13' lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back