Excess fallout at bottom of fermenter on brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain chocolate milk stout today and after my fermenter sat for around 15 minutes, I noticed a ton of fallout at the bottom.

Is this a mashing issue where my wort may have gone into the kettle with too much grain particles? Or is this a result of using lactose? I did use 1/2 of a whirlfloc

I know it's too late for this batch but any help for the future is appreciated (assuming this is a negative).

PXL_20211218_235231384.jpg PXL_20211218_235252267.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it improved a bit. I'm also starting to see some bubbles in the air lock already. My first time using Nottingham

PXL_20211219_024510958.jpg

PXL_20211219_024526535.jpg

Last edited:
I think I am good. :bigmug:

PXL_20211219_041926311.jpg PXL_20211219_041933859.jpg

Is this a mashing issue where my wort may have gone into the kettle with too much grain particles? Or is this a result of using lactose? I did use 1/2 of a whirlfloc
While you might have gotten some grain particles in there, what I see is proteins (hot break, cold break material) and hops. Looks perfectly normal and when the yeast get active that will all get stirred up only to settle out when fermentation is complete if you give it sufficient time. If you rush to bottle, much of that "stuff" will end up in your bottles.

That yeast is busy!

LOL! So not married. Putting a dark porter onto carpet with Nottingham yeast and a simple airlock. Recipe for disaster.

I did that - plugged the airlock and then built up enough pressure to erupt - blowing off the stopper and hitting the ceiling. Fortunately it was in the kitchen. Lucky to still be married.

Lol. I got lucky and discovered it at around 5 am (12 hours after pitching yeast) so it was not bad. No leakage to the carpet and I was good to go. It slowed down dramatically and I put the airlock back on. Can't wait to try it

You should put the carboy in a milk crate to make it easier to move. Those neck handles aren't for full carboys

You should put the carboy in a milk crate to make it easier to move. Those neck handles aren't for full carboys

You should replace that carboy with a fermenter bucket. Nice included handle, wide opening for easy pouring the wort into and easy cleaning, and they don't shatter if bumped or dropped.

I guess you found out that most often you just need to RDWHAHB. The yeasties will 8/10 times start doing their thing.
And I get that sometimes aswell especially with British yeast, they fall to the bottom and chill there for a few hours, then by next morning they are going HAM.

You should replace that carboy with a fermenter bucket. Nice included handle, wide opening for easy pouring the wort into and easy cleaning, and they don't shatter if bumped or dropped.
I know, I know. I personally like glass, but am aware of the risks. I will likely pick up a fermonster soon.
I guess you found out that most often you just need to RDWHAHB. The yeasties will 8/10 times start doing their thing.
And I get that sometimes aswell especially with British yeast, they fall to the bottom and chill there for a few hours, then by next morning they are going HAM.
I wasn't sure as this was the first time I used Nottingham, and I mixed it with boiled and cooled distilled water and then let it sit for around an hour before pitching, while the instructions said wait only 15 minutes. I wasn't sure if I screwed something up and was hoping they were alive as I had no backups. Within hours they were farting away in my carboy.

The nylon strap carriers for the Big Mouth Bubbler would work great. I spend half a day making one out of rope and next thing you know, NB is selling the nylon strap type for chimp change.

I dislike regular buckets. Too hard to get a good seal and they can be hard to open. Plus I like to watch the little critters making alcohol for me. I like the Big Mouth Bubbler cause I can see in, and I can get my arm down in there for cleaning. The Fermonster looks pretty good, too. Christmas is already sewed up but maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me one.

I use the nylon carboy carrier straps, I forget the official name. I hardly use the orange handle on mine, even when empty.

I dislike regular buckets. Too hard to get a good seal and they can be hard to open.

You aren't supposed to seal a fermenter. That's why you have an airlock on them. So a bucket doesn't seal the lid? No problem, I have better things to do than watch the airlock bubble. Being hard to open keeps you from wanting to keep opening them. I open mine once to check that fermentation has started, once to dry hop (if dry hopping) and once to bottle. If the bucket lid seals I can skip the first time and if it isn't an IPA the second isn't necessary.

Latest posts

Back