Ever had hesitation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eshorebrewer

Reaction score
before cracking open a beer? Yes... I know it may sound odd but I brewed a "old oak barrel bourbon ale" about four months ago that smelled like straight up makers mark when I bottled it. I just put my first bottle in the fridge last night and don't have much hope that it's mellowed out lol.

If mellowing is what you want, then all you have to do is wait. But yes, I've had beers that have given me pause because something a little funky was going on flavor wise - I normally just waited a few weeks with the beer in storage or in the fridge and, voila, it turned out fine in the end.

before cracking open a beer? Yes... I know it may sound odd but I brewed a "old oak barrel bourbon ale" about four months ago that smelled like straight up makers mark when I bottled it. I just put my first bottle in the fridge last night and don't have much hope that it's mellowed out lol.

betcha it has. that oak and bourbon character tends to meld into a beer over time. RDWHAbourbonagedHB :mug:

Yeah,that bourbon soaked oak in my whiskely ale took 9 weeks & 6 days to condition well,then 2 weeks fridge time for decent carbonation & head. Patience is def key here.

Also just because it smelled strong doesn't mean it will end up being that strong. Warm beer will smell hotter then when it is cold. Four months and it being cooler will mellow the beer.

It may be just me but I like me a burbon bomb

I brewed that one but soaked the oak cubes in Bushmill's for 2 weeks then added them to secondary....the beer is now kegged/carbed and the oak chips are hanging in the keg....but I may finish this beer before I pull the chips LOL....I really like it, nice recipe.

Yes, I have an Burton Ale that I brewed with Burton water salts that just made the beer taste like crap. My Bjcp judge friend said that under the salts the beer tastes good, and the salts will mellow with time. So every now and then I pull one out hoping. But even to take it out of the fridge to taste it takes effort. Knowing I'll be dissapointed.

Here it is, had a great dark head that had good retention... I was a little slow on getting the camera up though. The bourbon is still a little strong up front but finishes nicely.

1329351975679.jpg

Back