Ever enter a competition knowing your beer isn't ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever entered a Homebrew competition knowing your beer isn't ready? How did it do?

For example there is a local contest that I found, I've never entered a contest before and decided what the heck do I have to lose. The contest is judged on 3/19 and I bottled a blood orange American wheat lastnight, so that gives me exactly 2 weeks for the beer to condition including while it's being shipped and handeled at the contest. I know it's not ideal but I still thought about trying it. There is another competition in May which I'll also try so it's not so last minute.

Just trying to see if I'm completely off my rocker:ban:

Interesting that you posted this since I just entered into a competition here in Halifax that was put on by Garrison.

Each year they pick a style and a bunch of local homebrewers go at it.

This year was an Experimental APA and I made an Earl Grey IPA that scored a 26/50.

I knew the beer wasn't ready and I only got to brew it once. I also didn't have enough time for it to properly carb before entering it among many other faults that I was very surprised by. Not a good brew day at all.

In one sense it was very valuable to see that my evaluation of the beer was spot on and that my knowledge of off flavor and faults have been growing along with my brewing skills. I know my other beers would score much higher and I totally agree with the criticism from the judges. Everything I've noted in brew log and tasting notes was reflected in the judges.

On the other hand it was a bit of a bummer to have one of my not so successful brews be the first one I've ever entered.

Now I have time to re-brew this beer before another BJCP comp and not only do I have my own ideas of how to improve it but I have them backed up by three judges as well.

Very valuable to me but in the end I should be entering beers that represent where I am as a brewer and not where I was 5 years ago when I had no idea what a yeast starter was.

Evaluation and competition aside, this beer was the most well received of any of my homebrew from friends and family.

Interesting that you posted this since I just entered into a competition here in Halifax that was put on by Garrison.

Each year they pick a style and a bunch of local homebrewers go at it.

This year was an Experimental APA and I made an Earl Grey IPA that scored a 26/50.

I knew the beer wasn't ready and I only got to brew it once. I also didn't have enough time for it to properly carb before entering it among many other faults that I was very surprised by. Not a good brew day at all.

In one sense it was very valuable to see that my evaluation of the beer was spot on and that my knowledge of off flavor and faults have been growing along with my brewing skills. I know my other beers would score much higher and I totally agree with the criticism from the judges. Everything I've noted in brew log and tasting notes was reflected in the judges.

On the other hand it was a bit of a bummer to have one of my not so successful brews be the first one I've ever entered.

Now I have time to re-brew this beer before another BJCP comp and not only do I have my own ideas of how to improve it but I have them backed up by three judges as well.

Very valuable to me but in the end I should be entering beers that represent where I am as a brewer and not where I was 5 years ago when I had no idea what a yeast starter was.

Evaluation and competition aside, this beer was the most well received of any of my homebrew from friends and family.

This is exactly why I'm entering, I know it's a good beer and I'm hoping it's carbed in time but I'm wanting to be assessed from a knowledge 3rd party on where I am as a Brewer. I'll enter it in both competitions which are 2 months apart and see how the tasting notes change.

Latest posts

Back