Even Donate a Vehicle to Charity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2003 Chevy S10 4.3L 6 cylinder Vortec Auto Ext cab

Was running. Now turns over but does not start. Needs cats, brake control module and a few other misc things. Has four new tires and rear shocks. AC blows cold (when the truck runs). Body decent.

So, I bought that truck and it was running strong. Then, one thing after another. Now, I just want it gone, but want to recoup some of the $2,600 I'm into it.

Ever donate a car to charity? Which one? Describe the process. How was it valued? How much did you get as a tax write off?

Thanks.

Did the charity thing years ago, got a nice tax write off, well more than the car was worth. It was really excellent.

Two years ago tried to do it again, was told that they wait until the vehicle is sold and then give paperwork based on the actual sale. Now I don't know if it was just that outfit, or some new law (it was NH, don't know if any difference) but in that case and at that time I was better off with a couple hundred bucks cash from the salvage yard.

A quick search looks like I'd be doing good to get $500 outta this thing. Rules changed in 2005. Still though, I'm interested in any stories. If it sits too long, I'll be paying the city for having a derelict vehicle in my own driveway. I'm about at that anything I can get and get this thing gone stage.

We called one of those outfits that puts adds in the paper for buying your car "no matter what". They showed up, took our old-ass Chevy Beretta that ran, but had little paint left, was dirty and stained, and leaked somewhat badly when it rained. It was definitely not going to pass it's next annual inspection, but they gave us $300 bucks for it, and it was barely worth that, IMO. They rehab them and get them to people that need them at little to no cost. So, kind of charity-like.

I had an old Ford I donated to GoodWill. Cant remember the tax incentive. What I do remember is when I first bought the truck, there was enough ephedrine packets scattered in the cab to scare the crap out of me... Pretty sure the people I bought it from were meth heads... Straying away here.

I gave the truck to GoodWill after some engine trouble. I fixed it up and donated it. A few months later, I got a letter from the police about an accident I was in with the truck. Turns out, the person who got it from Good Will never registered it, got in a wreck, and ran. So all the crap came back to the last known owner... ME. Got it taken care of pretty easily though. Doubt I will do it again though.

I've donated 2. One to the Kidney foundation, a long time ago. One to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) a few months ago. In both cases the process was painless. They schedule a tow truck. You sign the title, hand over the keys, and let the DMV know you donated it. Both cars were old and well past their prime in every way. They probably scrapped them. I claimed $500, the maximum you can claim without providing documentation (appraisal, etc.), and called it a win/win.

ugh.

Well alright, here's a good bit of insight on the jingle:

https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-articles/catchy-jingle-not-a-green-light-to-donate/92

The other leading charity seems to be the same kettle of fish:

https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-articles/charity-finishes-last-at-car-donation-charities-micro-mini-share-of-proceeds-go-to-charity/163

Now I understand why the rules were changed. Hey, I don't have anything against the charitable aspects (what little there is) and I guess whether you sell it to a junkyard or give it to a "charity" it's moving money through the economy so in the end, it's all good.

You might also check into radio stations. I know a lot of them od used vehicle donation programs. I believe NPR is a big one that does it.

I donated a car probably 10 years ago, I just did a google search for charities that take them.

HA. Just found the email I received from them:

Thank you for your offer to donate your 1990 Honda Civic to the Animal Friends Rescue Project

This letter serves as your receipt for this gift and acknowledges that you were not provided with any cash, goods or services in consideration, in whole or in part, for your donation.

Per current tax laws for donated vehicles and vessels, you may write off the value of your donation, up to $500, without further documentation. If your donated vehicle/vessel sells for more than $500 you will be mailed a supplemental receipt showing the sale price. You may then write off the market value up to the sale price. Please note: if your donated vehicle/vessel sells for less than $500 you will not receive a second receipt..

YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY SALVAGE - Statewide Recovery WITHIN 24 BUSINESS HOURS TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE PICK UP OF YOUR DONATION. YOU MAY CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY AT xxxxxxxxxx

The documents needed to transfer ownership of your vehicle/vessel must be with the vehicle/vessel at the time it is picked up. The exact paperwork and procedure for signing over the vehicle/vessel varies from state-to-state. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON THE TITLE BEFORE YOU TALK TO THE TRANSPORT SERVICE. To avoid delays, if you have any questions about who should sign, where to sign, or exactly what documents are needed to transfer ownership in your state, ask the transport company operator at the time you make the appointment for pickup.

It was a very easy process..shortly after I got this email, the tow service called, scheduled a pickup, I signed over the title and they carried it away.

Latest posts

Back