Even Costco is selling cider now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've sold local cidery stuff for years, but I'm in the PNW, and the ciderys in question are all within 100 miles of the only costco for hours.

If it's anything like their "house" beers, i'd stay away. Not sure if i even drank half that pack i bought from there.

I believe Austin Eastcider uses bulk juice to make sweet hard cider. Much like Angry Orchard & Ciderboys

My local Costco sells cases of canned cider. I don't remember the brand (something like "Virtue".) It's very dry; about 7% ABV and 150 calories per 12 oz can. And it's pink instead of pale yellow.

Do apples grow in Texas?
Maybe in northern texas, but outside competition probably makes for low profit margins. So in practice: maybe at farmers markets, but not in industrial quantity like the state of Washington produces.

Last edited:
Do apples grow in Texas?

Not commercially. But that doesn't mean much, most(just about all) ciderys import tankers of dessert fruit juice and dress it up.

My local Costco sells cases of canned cider. I don't remember the brand (something like "Virtue".) It's very dry; about 7% ABV and 150 calories per 12 oz can. And it's pink instead of pale yellow.

virtue is legit.

This evening i noticed that Sam's Club sells the same brand of Austin Eastcider cider. It's actually a better arrangement than the Costco offering, because at Sam's Club you can buy six packs of the flavor that you like instead of being forced into a variety back, as Costco does. Cost is about $1.50 per can.

I purchased their Honey Cider to try. As it wasn't quite as sweet as what I wanted, I backsweetened it with honey and... LOL, it ended up tasting like apple juice! I can't take it seriously. I guess that with such a low ABV, it practically is apple juice with just a bit of the sugar knocked out.

In contrast, I've never experienced even a sweet cyser as tasting like apple juice. Maybe that's why I prefer cysers over ciders....?

Last edited:
My wife picked up a 24-pack of this Virtue Rosé last week at our local (northern Indiana) Costco. We've been to their cidery several times, and their rosé is indeed legit - it is very reminiscent of rosé wine, dry and flavorful (and with a slight bit of oak).

One interesting note: the packaging on the Virtue cider lists a Portland, Oregon address, while I know that the cidery itself is in Fennville, Michigan. Did a google search and couldn't find any info on why the address would read Portland. Anyone have some insight?

Back