Evaporation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtydingus

Reaction score
I have a polarware 40 qt pot as my boil kettle. Thought I should confirm the evaporation rate of the kettle for brewing software. I have a measure stick already marked. I started with 8 gal water. When it came to a rolling boil I started the 60 min timer. At the end of the boil it had boiled off 1.75 gal. Doesn't that seem alittle high. The norm seems to be .75 gal or thereabouts. I know the test didn't lie. Was just wondering what some other brewers are getting for an evaporation rate. Thanx.

It all depends on how wide the pot is and how vigrous of a boil you get. I start with about 8.5gal of wort and then end up with about 5.5 to 5.75. My pot is a 15gal and is a bit wider. I think I tend to be on the high end but it helps my efficiency...

It all depends on how wide the pot is and how vigrous of a boil you get. I start with about 8.5gal of wort and then end up with about 5.5 to 5.75. My pot is a 15gal and is a bit wider. I think I tend to be on the high end but it helps my efficiency...

How wide is your pot? I just acquired a 15 gallon kettle that is pretty wide, about 18.25" wide.
It's gonna take a few brews to get used to it compared to my 7.5 gallon pot.

I have a polarware 40 qt pot as my boil kettle. Thought I should confirm the evaporation rate of the kettle for brewing software. I have a measure stick already marked. I started with 8 gal water. When it came to a rolling boil I started the 60 min timer. At the end of the boil it had boiled off 1.75 gal. Doesn't that seem alittle high. The norm seems to be .75 gal or thereabouts. I know the test didn't lie. Was just wondering what some other brewers are getting for an evaporation rate. Thanx.

If you started off with 8 gallons of room temperature water and then boiled off for an hour and then measured the water at the end without letting it cool off to room temperature again, then you boiled off more than 1.75 gallons. If you had 6.25 gallons of near-boiling water then after cooling you'd have close to 6 gallons.

I have a 25g pot and it's 19.5" wide and I get about a 2.25-2.5 gph boil off rate.

Latest posts

Back